J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How difficult is it to change the valve cover gasket, the one in front. I think mine is leaking a little oil .
Thanks

·
Registered
827 Posts
very simple task... Just remove the four torx bolts. Take off the cover, clean the seat of old seal particles with a scraper or similar instrument. (try to not drop alot in the engine), reseal with new valve seal and put some RTV sealant on the little triangle protusions on either side.

Tighten the four bolts back on hand tight, but not crazy tight. There you're done.. easy.

Mev

·
17,284 Posts
Be very careful while tightning the bolts. If they are overtightened, the gasket will start to leak again!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I've got the same problem on my 2.8L auto Celebrity. It's not leaking a little oil though, it's leaking a LOT of oil. I press on the brakes after moderate acceleration and the oil pressure idiot light comes on. I suppose I should fix it pretty quick.

·
Registered
172 Posts
OK, how do you change the valve cover gasket on the rear valve cover. From what it looks like, I think all that I have to do is take off the plenum to get access to it. Am I correct? Also, are the only gaskets that I would need are for the plenum and the valve cover?

·
Registered
508 Posts
yea that should be all.... unless you rip the rubber boots for you intake than you need new ones of those as well

·
Registered
278 Posts
You don't even have to take the plenum off. I took the strut bar off and the alternator off and I was able to get mine out without a problem. If you want you can take it off but I don't like to it's sometimes a pain to put back on.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If I do it that way, then all I need is the valve cover gasket, right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts