J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After running no VSS for the past 3.5 years since I did the 5-speed swap, I got one from an another 89 5-speed car. Put it in, hooked it up and the car would limit at around 90 km/h! It goes, stops, wants to stall, goes again. I swapped in my ecm from an auto 2.8 and everything is fine now.

My question is, is my 5-speed computer fried or is this something else more complicated? The tranny simply had a gear before with the cable going in to it. nothing to plug...

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
sounds to me like either you have a ph.2 5 speed tranny or it was an auto trans not 5 speed. because it SHOULDNT run with an auto ecm. since mine didnt, but eh, iono. let someone more experienced tell you

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the 5-speed came out of an 89 Z24 and so did the VSS. the memcal is from a 89 2.8 3-speed 6000. the only issue i have with the 6 ballz memcal is that the idle is off sometimes and the car surges a bit.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that's the thing. the previous memcal was from an 88 5-speed Z. everything worked fine with it until I installed the VSS. it makes no sense, but the 6 ballz one works fine, with the expection of my occasional idle surge. ihad it lying around from when i scrapped that car.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
ya the auto memcals do have lower idle settings so that make sense

I wouldnt have thought the 6000 VSS was the same as the cav's but sounds like they are

I would assume the 89 5spd computer you got was bad, either that or the memcal was changed in that one lol. did you get it from the yard?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it came out of a dirty 88 parts car my buddy had bought. maybe it went bad? we have one lying around from a 91 5-speed. i'm not sure it would work with this VSS though.

too bad phase 1 Z's are a rare sight in the yards these days. 4 years ago, there would be at least 3-4 of them, with another 15 coupes. now it's all 3rd gens...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.