J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
61 - 80 of 119 Posts

· Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Ordered the gas tank today. Hopefully it will be here before the weekend.

Finished bead blasting the calipers, rebuilt and painted them up along with the carriers.

Also cleaned up and paitned the hardware for the axle beam and assembled that.

Quiet night tonight.

Dan

· Registered
39 Posts
Is this a 9a or PL (i think that's the code for the 1.8L)? I've read that the 2.0 and 1.8 heads are slightly different, any benefit of using one over the other in a turbo application? oh, and what distributor is that?

Nice build, by the way! I know this isn't going to turn out like the many hacked-up turbo builds that you see on vwvortex!

-Tim

· Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Its a 2.0L 9A. Some people use the 1.8 head on the 2.0 motor, but ported they are both pretty much the same. For now, and for a while, it will just remain stock

Acutaly had time to get the tank and rear suspension in today. Up next, rear brakes, lines and ebrake cables. Tomorrow nite.

New gastank painted and in.

Rear suspension in

Dan

· Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Got the drivers side rear brake line in , finally. The new, shorter, lines were just right.

I couldnt get the pass side soft line off, the nut was fn frozen solid. I ended up cutting off the hard line. I will replace the nut and reflare the line tomorrow night so I can finally button up the brakes on this thing.

The plug wires came in friday from Magnecor as well as a few new silicone couplings to replace some of the older Turbonetics ones I mocked things up with.

Dan

· Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Its baaaack! I havent touched this in almost 18mo. Feels good to be getting back to it finally.

Good progress tonight. Only got a couple hours in, but made good use of it.

Removed:
-Dash
-Cruise control wiring
-a/c wiring
-speaker wiring
-heater box

I also figured outa bunch of wiring that I didnt have labelled. Still a bit more to go through, but Ill work on it little at a time.

Dan

· Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Good progress again tonight.

Removed the factory wiring, fuse box etc
Throttle, clutch and speedo cables
Master cylinder and booster
Hood
HVAC box from the rain tray area
Wiper motor, arms etc

Then I started grinding spot welds on what remains of the rain tray that I cut out long ago. I worked on that for about 45mins, and have most of it removed.

Dan

· Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
LOTS of progress this week. Tues night I finished removing the last of the rain tray and started filling in some holes on the firewall. Last night I welded shut 28, yes 28, holes in the upper core support, and got a decent start on the one seam near the drivers shock tower, and the drivers side trans mount.

Dan

· Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Two more items checked off my list last night:

Finished trimming the bracket for the wiper motor mount, then welded a panel in to fill in the front of it (which also made it a bit stronger). Im considering putting a dimpled hole in, but I havent decided yet.

And filled the hole that is normally on the drivers side of the it.

I also added a piece of metal near the headlight bracket where I had to trim it to fit the hot side IC piping. I probably could have left it but it was sorta flimsy without the the bend, so I added one back in.

Dan

· Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
It may not look like much, but I nearly have all the holes filled, all the brackets and studs removed and a couple seams welded up.

Holes filled: 77
Brackets and studs removed:23
Hours spent: 19

Im hoping in by the end of next week to have all the welding and grinding done. We'll see how it goes.

Dan

· Registered
4,185 Posts
DAMN!! thats alot of unnecessary holes. You sure it wasnt used for target practice? :lol:

And you just couldnt stand not welding something could you? :p

· Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
haha ya, welding away...

Tonight I pulled off the bumper, drivers fender (what a Fn pain with the seam sealer), removed more seam sealer around the pass shock tower etc, and the last piece of hte rain tray that was under the drivers fender.

Some work I did on the trans mount brackets and the seams

I gota fig out what Im doing here... I may just skin over the top rather than weld nearly all those holes shut.

I plan to get back to welding thrusday night.

Dan

· Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Got a little work done over the weekend. Filled another 8-10 holes and started welding the shock tower seams and the pass side motor mount.

Tonight I got the plates for the motor mounts cut out and one tacked in place, and ground some of the pass mount welds down.

Dan

· Registered
2,697 Posts
lookin good. yeah i would do one piece and roll it for the bottom of the rad support. Thats what i did on the cav. that whole bottom support is worse than the dub. Just went easier since i was cutting up that area for an S10 rad to begin with.

61 - 80 of 119 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.