J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so my car has all the options except power windows and doors, and im tired of having to fumble through my key ring of 20 damn keys just to find the door key, so i want to just be lazy and push a button. i went on ebay to see what they have, and some people are offering kits to install. so i want to know if these things work or are they just BS? has anyone tried, can anyone recomend a particular brand thats good? thanks!

· Super Moderator
20,058 Posts
Those "keyless kits" are overpriced IMO, especially if you have a security system or remote starter, or plan on adding one in the future (highly reccomended ;)). The actuators we sell at work for $15/ea, the "harness" is just a pair of wires run from each actuator to a pair of relays, maybe $2 worth of wire there, then 2 relays ($5/ea) $10, and a little more wire and connectors, maybe another $2, so $44 (CDN) or so in parts, not including the remote part of it. Ifyou really want keyless entry do yourself a favour and get a security system now, to go along with it, a little more peace of mind and works very well together.

· Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that was the plan to get a security system and install power locks at the same time. i want to do it myself as a project for my autoshop class and so i can learn this type of stuff! so where can i get the parts? lock actautors seam cheap im not sure what they look like though. maybe radio shack or best buy will have em? so i didnt neccessarily want a kit just some advice on what to get to make this work! also where can i get the remotes, i mean you have to program them or something right?? also wheres a good place to get a security system? i want to get this started soon!

· Super Moderator
20,058 Posts
If you buy a security system, it will come with the remotes for that system. ;)

Best places to get the parts are speciality retailers that specialize in car audio and security/convienience.

· Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the_raven said:
If you buy a security system, it will come with the remotes for that system. ;)

Best places to get the parts are speciality retailers that specialize in car audio and security/convienience.
cool even though i should have thought of that! thanks raven and blackrs im going to check out some store tomorrow and see what i come up with

· Registered
769 Posts
One of my old cars didn't have power locks either, but I wanted to add them cuz the alarm I was installing had the option to lock and unlock when the system was armed or disarmed. I never had it wired to any switches inside cuz it would also lock when the ignition was turned on and unlocked when it was turned off.

I think I got the actuators from the Circuit City roadshop or whatever they call it...about $12-15 each if IIRC. The relays can be had at any parts store, but I think Circuit City had the relays with a complete prewired harness that plugged into it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.