J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my sister got a good deal on a 98 dodge neon so she bought it. Down side is it needed a transmission put in it. So she took it to a transmission shop, they got her a transmission and installed it for her. She came over to my house excited and wanted me to drive her car. So I took it for a drive and It would not shift good at all. It would rev really high before shifting, and almost wouldn't go into 3rd at all unless you floored it(sounded like the engine was going to blow) I told her take it back to the shop something ain't right. Well being as she just turned 16 she didn't listen, and continued to drive it. I guess it started jerking real bad in gear one day, then it wouldn't go into gear at all on the next day. Why she continued to drive it is beyond me, but 4 days of driving it she took it back to the shop. They said there was water in the transmission not much just a lil bit. They said nothing was wrong with the radiator they don't know how it got in there. So they said they'll drop the pan, and change the filter and put more fluid in. They said it should be fine after that. Well they have had it for a week. I know it doesn't take that long to change fluid. I think they are trying to rip her off, I thought the transmission would be tore up after haveing water in it. I was wondering what your guys thoughts was on water in the transmission what kinda damage it would do? Wouldn't it need a rebuild after 4 days of abuse with water in there? Sorry so long of a post.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
deffinatly sounds like they're tryin to pull a fast one on her! I'd have to say yes the trans is probably toast! This is a stunt that shady trans shops can pull then they'll probebly tell her that the trans had to be rebuilt wich it probably does now and charge her out the ass for it! Filter an fluid change is not even a half day's work.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
now see thats what I was thinking, cause how would the water of gotten in there if the radiators fine? Wouldn't they have to put new fluid in when they put the trans in her car? The problem is her dad is an idiot. She's only my half sister. He doesn't know a thing about cars he just tells her to do what the shop says, which isn't always right if you ask me. She is blowing all her money on this car, when she doesn't have that much money anyways I am just trying to help her out. Has anyone ever dealt with water in a transmission before? Does it totally tear it up? I was thinking the bands would get messed up.keep the info coming I want to try and nail these guys.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
couldn't there be some legal action taken if they rebuild the trans without the owners consent? i know at my shop we don't do anything that will cost the customer money without consulting them first for legal matters. because in all essence, you wouldn't have to pay them if they did it without your consent.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea I think thats the way it is, but they told her they checked it and it was fine. I really just wanna know if a fluid change would fix the problem? Or is there probably going to be damage done from the water in there? I think there trying to pull something. If it was doing that badly shifting and not going into gear I think there will be damage and a fluid change won't solve the problem. Wouldn't you think?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh yea if they rebuilt it without her consent, but they haven't even talked to her I don't think. It has just been at the shop that long. They are suppose to call her when the fluid is changed. I think she is still going to have problems

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea I guess that could be, but do you really think a fluid change will fix it? I really don't know if the water in there would hurt the internals of the trans or not, but it was shifting badly when I drove it. She drove it for 3 more days, and it got worse. 4 days total driving with water in the transmission.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.