J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am talking to a suspension guy over at QA1 and i need a measurement that i don't have can't find - and don't know where else to look. so help please.

i need the weight of the front of the car and the weight of the rear.

1994 z24 5 speed i weigh 135 pounds if that matters. thanx for any help that you guys can provide.

also the part numbers that will work for the car for front is ddr5855b and for the rear is ddr8855b. www.qa1.net these are double adjustable shocks. they will come with a coil over kit but that is what why we need the weight of the front and the rear so we can get the correct coils for the setup.

what i am going to be using the car for is rally, rally cross, drag strip, and street, and of course show as much as possible. that was our goal on the project. i will give every one the how to with detailed pictures on the project when it is done (if such thing exists ;) ) thanx all!

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
If nobody knows that spec.. go buy 4 scales from walmart and drive your car onto them (1 per wheel). then return them when your done. :D

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
barrok69 said:
If nobody knows that spec.. go buy 4 scales from walmart and drive your car onto them (1 per wheel). then return them when your done. :D
That won't work, directly.

The scales only go up to about 300 lbs.

What you need is 4 devices, that take most of the load, but allow you to get a reading on the scale, and then multiply by a ratio to find actual weight. My uncle built some of these years ago. I can sell them to you if you like. ;)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
this is ture walmart will take back pretty much anything like the helmet i bought for sport compact used it all weekend then took it back work great

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Six_Shooter said:
barrok69 said:
That won't work, directly.

The scales only go up to about 300 lbs.

What you need is 4 devices, that take most of the load, but allow you to get a reading on the scale, and then multiply by a ratio to find actual weight. My uncle built some of these years ago. I can sell them to you if you like. ;)
eheh yeah.... you'll have to get the "fat people" scales. bwahaha

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and one of the many reasons i like this site. there is a bunch of smartasses like myself :) i am going to get the car weighed down at t n t specialties.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so i find the weights today (free) and i call up qa1 and after all of this they tell me they only have up to 600 pounds for a spring rate for the rear. and i am thinking i told them i need probably 1000. then they asked me if i was sure. so i am double checking do you guys think 600 will be enough i mean thats only a little more then half of what i need. so what do you all think.

600 ok? or keep looking?

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
faytmorgan said:
so i find the weights today (free) and i call up qa1 and after all of this they tell me they only have up to 600 pounds for a spring rate for the rear. and i am thinking i told them i need probably 1000. then they asked me if i was sure. so i am double checking do you guys think 600 will be enough i mean thats only a little more then half of what i need. so what do you all think.

600 ok? or keep looking?
600???!?!?!!!!?!?!!1!!!one!!!???!

That's hella heavy.

You will probably need no more than about 300. I had selected to 300 in/lbs springs on teh rear of my J-body, I didn't get the project done, but that was over twice what factory was IIRC.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
holy crap thats heavy. the canuck springs i have are close to 300 and i find that real stiff for a daily.

does the car have a cage in it?

how exactly did you figure out that weight?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i had it weighed at t n t. no cage why?

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you ask me, 400 would be a decen t rate for the rear just for the simple fact it would keep the back end from dropping when dragging.

They wanted to know about the cage because 600 lb's is actually quite a bit and the extra weight of the cage would impact the spring rates.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ah i understand. no i had it all weighed out. the car should have well over 300hp to the wheels and the problem i foresee happening is loss of any traction. seeing the car weighs about 2650 total with me in it. of course depending on what crap is in it. this is before i actually strip the car. which will actually make it worse.

hey out of curiosity seeing that this was free from them and i did not what to waste there time i did not measure some things. do you guys know how much all the seats weigh? the front buckets and the rear bench for the z24?

and how much the 3400 weighs in comparison to the 3100?

tire jack all the useless stuff?

what do you guys recommend ripping out of this specific car?

·
Registered
468 Posts
I think you're getting confused over what is meant by "spring rate". Spring rate is a measurement of how many pounds it takes to compress a spring 1 inch. For example, a spring with a rating of 300 lbs/in means that if you put 300 pounds of weight on top of the spring it will compress 1 inch. It does not mean that the spring can only hold 300 pounds. A car that weighs ~2900 lbs (with driver) will have roughly 725 lbs per wheel. I can see where you might think that 4x600 = 2400 lbs, but that's not how spring rates work.

Spring rates from the Suspension FAQ:

-- Stock 91F/131-222Rp (for a 1987 Sunbird SE) 137F/131-222Rp (Sunbird GT) (still looking for Cav specs)
-- Apex ????
-- Intrax 143-239Fp/97-143Rp or 135-200Fp/144R
-- Eibach 143-228Fp/126-377Rp
-- Sprint 143-239Fp/97-143Rp or 135-200Fp/144R
-- Suspension Tech 248F/225R or 175-200Fp/300R
-- Canuck (1.3?) 205F/306R
-- Canuck (1.7?) 205F/265R

As you can see, the numbers are somewhere around 200 lbs/in. 300 to 400 is really stiff. 600 - you might as well weld the rear end :lol:

I hope this helps and you weren't really talking about 1000lbs/in springs. :oops:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i was told by the honda guys - which i guess makes sense that that is bs - because they are honda guys. anyhow that i needed 1000 pounds per square inch.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey those 1.3 canuck is that a coilover shock kit? for the second gen?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so those are springs and i would have to buy shocks separately?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yes those are just springs, you will need to buy shocks and struts separately.

I'm using the Canuck 1.7" springs with KYB GR2 shocks and struts and I like it a lot. For the price and ease of installation (direct bolt-on), it's hard to beat. Other people are using Eiback/Intrax/Spring/Suspension Technique springs for around the same price with similarly good results. The next step is more involved, such as Koni Yellow Strut Inserts for the front. There is a good write-up in the How-To section. Also, I must give credit where it is due - the spring rates in my last post came from the Suspension FAQ. I believe that Ground Control coil overs can be made to fit, but I'm not sure. I think Cahil has them in his 2nd gen.

What is it exactly you want to do with your car? There are many members that are more knowledgeable about suspensions and can tell you what is the best setup for your car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
no with the setup you got would it hold up to rally the absolute abuse of it all?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.