J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed before somewhere on the site but i couldn't find it. when i turn my wheel to the left while moving at any speed, there is some kind of scraping or rubbing or it is almost like a buzzing sound that comes from the front wheel. It has gotten a little worse and i want to take care of it before it is a huge problem. I am assuming it i will start on the right wheel too or maybe it does it already and i just can't hear it. Does anyone know what this would be? thanks.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
First and easiest thing I would check would be the brake pads. Sometimes the warning tab will rub only when turning the wheels, when the pads are getting worn down.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know it is not brake pads because i just had those done and i know what they sound like anyways. So it is not that. What exactly does the CV joint/boot do? Is it a huge/expensive problem or could i do it myself?

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
The CV joint will usualy make a thumping or clunking sound, but I guess it is possible...

What does it do? There is one for each front wheel, and in short, they basically transfer the power from the engine to the wheels. You can recognize them as a part with an accordian-like boot covering them.

Its not exactly a job for the unexperienced, but it could probably be done if you had the time, and a repair manual. I would get it checked over first to definately make sure that is the problem before you go tearing things apart. If you buy the part, get the entire assembly, with the halfshaft and all. Not much more expensive, but makes things a whole lot easier.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have a rubbing/humming/grinding sound when I turn right only. I've been told that it's the wheel bearing. You might want to check that out too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts