J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, let me explain. About 2 months ago, I started hearing some parasites (I mean HUGE ones) coming from the 6x9 speakers. Then things went from bad to worse and the audio was completely f***** up. I mean the 6x9 were never playing right, I was always hearing those "BROOSHHHISH" sounds very often. I thought "No prob, my 17 years old paper speakers are blown", so I go get some nice pioneer ones, install them and boom problem was gone....or so did I thought.

About 5 minutes of listening to music (moderate base, low volume), I started hearing the noises again and sound was swithing from the right speakers to the left, to no speakers at all then back to the weird sounds.

My thoughts are that swapping out the head will fix this, but my father (who is an electrician) is convinced that there is something wrong with the electrical circuits in the car, which would be a PITA to locate.
Anybody knows what could cause this?

-Please pardon my bad english and thanks for the help you will hopefully give, G.

P.S. I noticed the noises were always coming from the passenger's side speaker, wether it was the stock or the new one.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
honestly, i would just run better quality wiring down the center hump to the speakers.

mine did the same thing couple of years back... ran quality wiring, to the back, quarter panels, doors and dash and VOILA, crystal clear sound.

·
Registered
247 Posts
i dont think theres a problem sounds like ur factory unit cant handle that much bass.. i have a eclipse headunit and memphis 6x9 2 ways that and handle some bass but if u turn up the bass on the headunit they distort so i hooked them everything up to a 4 chan amp now it sound like i have mini subs in the back :p

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
First mistake: Listening to an electrician. Electricians are great for information and wiring of Home and some industrial wiring but have no clue when it comes to car, especially audio. I have not found one example that didn't confirm this.

Most of the time when somethng like this happens, it turns out to be the amplifier, which in your case sounds like you have a headunit and speakers. It's difficult to diagnose this over the interweeb though, as different sounds would, to me, indicate different sources of problems.

Your dad probably has a DMM, if not, you'll need one, and no a VOM, won't be accurate enough to use for diagnosing this.

First thing to do is pull the head unit and grab the meter, testing the resistance of the speakers accross the wires at the deck. Refer to the sticky in this forum for wire code information, for each speaker. Seeing as you just bought Pioneer 6x9s, you should read somewhere around 4 ohms, usually reads a little lower at about 3.5 ohms, but as long as it's within about 1 ohm either way of the rated impedance you'll be fine (3 to 5 ohm).
The fronts will be similar and if memory serves they are also rated at 4 ohms, so the same range should be good.

If that all checks out, connect one lead to ground, and then go back through the speakers wires and if you get ANY continuity, then you'll have to inspect why. There should be absolutly no connection to ground through the speaker wires. If you find one that reads 4 ohms (or so), check the corresponding wire to that speaker and you'll find that it will show a direct connection to ground, or should, as you are reading the connection to ground through the speaker, whihc shows it's resistance.

If you find a problem with any of the wiring it's very easy to find. The rear speakers wires run accross the dash to the passenger kick panel, and then along the passenger side to the trunk. The dash speaker wiring runs from the head unit to each speaker, in an almost direct fashion.

If you don't find any problems with the wiring, then remove the speakers from the rear deck and let them lay free in the truck as a test, you may need to set them on a box or something to not have them hang by the wires, repeat the tests, which should only be effecting the rear speakers and see if the problem persists, if it does, your speakers are fine, which I would suspect, but I have seen replacement speakers have problems just like the orginals.
Re-install the speakers and replace your head unit. Problem should be gone now. If it doesn't you'll have to dig deeper. Sometimes these problems only show up when the vehcile is in motion, as sometimes just a slight movement of the wires as the vehicle flexes and sways will cause the things to move just right to cause the problem.
Another ything to check while you have the head unit out is the supply voltage, make sure it's steady between 12.6 (or so) with the vehcile off, may dip a bit below to that, to no higher that 14.4V when the vehicle is running.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I had something like the exact same problem, But with all my speakers, first they would just cut out then back in then completely out and I would just have bass from my subs. Finally one day I got sick of it and rewired the whole car for speakers and it wasn't hard. The dash speakers were pretty damn easy too, alot easier then you would think, and bingo, no more clipping, distorting, fuzz, or cutting in and out. Later I took the carpet out to do a big clean out the carpet had water and I replaced the center console so I hid all the wires real well, even my 4 guage wire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.