J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals,

I've encountered a strange problem with my engine... If it just tap the throttle lightly, it will bog the engine down, if I hold the throttle down, it seems to rev up fine. If I tap it enough times with good timing, I can actually stall out the motor! :eek:

So here's the scenario, no vacuum leaks at all, I replaced most of the hoses, and did a smoke check. Fuel pressure is good. Throttle body is clean, IAC is clean, heads are clean, intake manifold is clean, and the egr is clean. It does it whether in gear or park/neutral.

I'm thinking it's exhaust related, cuz it's an original exhaust that has a muffler better suited to be a window! :lol: Could it be a plugged cat? Or am I looking in the wrong areas?

Oh yeah, stock 3.1, auto tranny, and after the bog down, it does return to normal idle like nothing ever happened...

·
Registered
437 Posts
so if you tap it down it bogs then picks up but if you do it over and over you can kill it? Mine was like that i cleaned the throttle body out and it was fine after i have to do that every so often ( when its on the road )

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Mine had a similar problem with the revs bouncing, I did the exhaust system not too long after and found my Cat had pretty much deteriorated and was blocking the exhaust. It idles fine now.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hornersz24 said:
so if you tap it down it bogs then picks up but if you do it over and over you can kill it? Mine was like that i cleaned the throttle body out and it was fine after i have to do that every so often ( when its on the road )
Yeah pretty much... If it tap and release quickly, it bogs, then returns to regular idle... I just cleaned the throttle body about 2 months ago, and it hasn't been driven, just run once-twice a week. Sometimes I would take it for a spin up and down the road...

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
are you throwing any error codes?

with the comment... "if I tap it enough times... . I can stall it" makes me think:

Leaky injectors.. (mine did that)... that would probably throw an exhaust rich code too...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Little_Dragon said:
are you throwing any error codes?

with the comment... "if I tap it enough times... . I can stall it" makes me think:

Leaky injectors.. (mine did that)... that would probably throw an exhaust rich code too...
The exhaust smells a little rich, but the ecm isn't throwing any codes... I've checked every day to see if anything pops up, but nothing...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I guess I didn't do the idle relearn properly the first time... I disconnected the battery for about 1/2 hour, then reconnected and did the idle relearn, and it's absolutely fine now... Thanks for any tips guys...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.