J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.. Have a slight problem with my 91 z24-
When it rains...my floors are soaked. Nothing else. I mentioned it to someone and they said about a rubber boot on the firewall? Has anyone else had this problem? Or know anything about the rubber boot? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Leigh Ann

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hey there, I haven't had that problem with my sunbird, but I do work at a car dealership and some of the cars there have had wet floors. One car was wet because it sat on a hill for weeks without being driven. The other one had wrotten rubber seals around the doors. You might want to check that out if you haven't already. You can take the car to an autoglass shop, they will check it and repair it if necessary.
Hope everything goes well!

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Pop the hood and check the area under the grill thing that is at the base of the windshield. Make sure that isnt full of leaves or something that could be not letting it drain properly. That might be it...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have that problem in both my '91 Z and my fiancee's 91 sunbird LE. I've checked the plug under the hood and everything can drain out ok. I've sat inside the car before and watched to see where the water was coming from, but i didn't see it dripping from anywhere. It's not too bad in my car, but it's really bad in hers. After one bad storm there was two inches of water on the floor in front of the back seat.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Under the dash in the center there is a drain that goes through the firewall. It is for the condensation from the AC. If the seal around the drain is not good then the water will leak in from the area mentioned by Moon. Mine was getting soaked too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the same problem. My cousin had the car before me and took it to 5 body shops they all tore down the car and couldn't find the problem. The trunk was wet too. I don't know if it was condensation or something else. I got tired of it so I pulled the carpet up, drilled holes in the floorpan, then some holes in the spare tire well in the trunk. I put the carpet back in the interior, and I put rubber mats down. For the trunk I bought a rubber SUV mat and cut it to fit. I don't have a problem with stuff getting wet in the trunk anymore(very important due to the amp!) and when I clean the interior underneath the rubber mats are wet, but its dry besides that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey... How did you fix your seal so that it no longer leaked into the car. I am recently having this problem, and before I go searching all over to try and fix it I would like to have an idea of where would be a good place to go. Thanks a lot.

·
17,284 Posts
This seems to be a common problem in the 2nd generation J-bodies. My 1991 Z24 had the same problem. I gutten the entire interior. Then I had my brother hold the hose on the windshield for about 5 min. I found that the water was coming from the base of the firewall.

I tries clearing out the drain underneath the cowl. I even resealed the entire thing! I still couldnt fix the problem. So then I brought it to a friend to try to fix it. He found a 6 inch crack in the firewall. They glued it up and that solved the problem!

I hope that this will help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yea it does. Thanks a lot. I think I know why it's doing that now. My boyfriend put on fog lights, and also he put interior lights and to do this he drilled through the firewall. I think that may be the problem. Thanks again, maybe I can save some money by having my boyfriend fix it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haven't had a chance to check the firewall yet...i already checked the drains and everything...but thanks a lot!

Now just to deal with new struts....too much fun!

thanks again!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have talked to many people who have this same problem with their cavalier. When my girlfriend was having this problem I called a GM dealership and they said it wasnt a common problem.. that is BS becuase i have talked to many people with this problem from what I have found it is most likely NOT the air conditions or hole in the floor board.. When it would rain my girlfriends 92 Z24 would get a ton of water on the floor boards.. and I couldnt figure out why. I mean even if she didnt drive it water would go all over the floor boards. So I pulled up the carpet and watched that the water was coming from the firewall on the drivers side under the carpet into the back seat floor boards too.. so I then took a hose and put it where the water falls under the hood and drains out. I turned the hose on and had my girl watch to see if water was coming in from the firewall and she said yes. So I then bought some Silicon from homedepot.. the stuff used to seal windows, doors and is water tight. I found cracks in the area where the water goes before it is drained ... I had to take out the metal box that is very close to the windshield under the hood. I found cracks under it and right by the opening where the water drains out. I sealed it all up tight and the hosed it down again.. this time my girl friend said it dripped a bit but not nearly as much as before... so I decided to tear down the inside close to the firewall under the stering column... when i got through all the foam.. I found two huge rust holes and several cracks in the seems ... I could totally see where all the water was coming from .. I then sealed all the cracks with silicon..then placed all the foam back in place..(makesure to put the foam back or the car will sound loud on the inside) put everything back together and I dont think I will be seeing water any time soon

·
Registered
2 Posts
1)the problem is most likely the firewall
2)seems to be a huge problem for old j body styles
3)check under the hood, you will see a lip where water falls, look where the water falls, you will then see a hole where the water drains out in the area where water is stored before it drains, is a place where cracks can hide, also look under the metal box in this area, will probably have to remove it.. seal it with some type of waterproof material
4)check inside the car, go under the steering column and pull up the foam closest to the firewall(its the only real way to see what is going on) check the drivers side first becuase most likely that is where the problem is..
5)seal all the interior cracks and rust holes with a water proof substance such as silicon..
6)makesure to put foam back in place.. duck tape it if you have too... its what keeps the inside of the car quiet...
I hope this helps someone out there

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
my air condiair frozen up and the fents are open and my left side of the car get wet when it rains it get like a pool

1 - 14 of 14 Posts