J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a 3x00 starter on my 93Z. All I can say is wow what a difference! I got the starter from the local yard for $25 and it was well worth it. I mean just the size alone is worth the upgrade not to mention the weight difference and how much faster it cranks over it's like night and day. I recommend the newer style starter to anyone.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Can this can be taken off of any car with the 3X00 V6? This bolts up to the stock 3.1 using existing bolts or do you need the ones off the other engine? and also, do the wires just interchange? Could I just go to a parts store and ask for .. lets say a 2000 Grand Am one and it'll work?

Haha, sorry for all the noob questions but this sounds interesting.

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
pingpong said:
Can this can be taken off of any car with the 3X00 V6? This bolts up to the stock 3.1 using existing bolts or do you need the ones off the other engine? and also, do the wires just interchange? Could I just go to a parts store and ask for .. lets say a 2000 Grand Am one and it'll work?

Haha, sorry for all the noob questions but this sounds interesting.
Yep, that will work.

I would suggest going for '96 or newer, as I believe some of the earlier 3100s had the larger starter.

Also someting of note, is that the smaller starter also uses a smaller battery stud, so you may need to use a couple washers to ensure full contact with the ring term.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
rlandis said:
I just installed a 3x00 starter on my 93Z. All I can say is wow what a difference! I got the starter from the local yard for $25 and it was well worth it. I mean just the size alone is worth the upgrade not to mention the weight difference and how much faster it cranks over it's like night and day. I recommend the newer style starter to anyone.
glad to see you havnt sold it

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
zepplica said:
rlandis said:
glad to see you havnt sold it
yeah might keep it around a while longer just not sure right now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.