J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I dont know much about engine/tranny mods so please bear with me

So I just found out that my auto transmission is taking a shit. The tranny makes the car drive like it barely wants to go forward, etc. I dropped the tranny pan and part of a metal tooth fell out so I took it to the mechanic to check over he said its about done. When i pop the car into nuetral when I'm driving its like its liberated form the tranny, it moves forward alot more freely.

What I want to do is buy a 5spd parts car, and do a 5spd swap to put some more balls behind this beast

I hate to admit, but I dont exactly know what the benefits of an LSD is. Is this something I need only if I have a lot of HP and torgue? I plan on juicing up this engine later on but I'm not sure with what.
Also, what kind of clutch do you suggest?

also, what kind of internal engine mods can I do to my 3400 to kick the HP up? I dont mean SC, TC, or spray either. I want to stay away from those.

also, would bigger brakes be a good idea since I'll be upping the HP?

thanks

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
The LSD is good for canceling out or reducing torque steer. When you have the pedal slammed and you up into 2nd gear, you will be fighting the steering wheel. The LSD will nearly negate this.

As for internal mods, can go with the crankscraper on 60*, LS6 valve springs, bore it out, P&P, headers, cam...etc etc. Tuning though with a cam will be a challenge since not a lot of people have cammed 3400s in OBD I cars.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does anyone still make the headers? I know theres a few guys in canada that might be able to fab one up, but thats a bit of a drive :lol:

The LSD sounds like a good idea. Even now with the stock 3400 my wheel pulls to the right if I slam on the gas too fast

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Your gonna wanna go with a better than stock clutch or you'll destroy it even with the stock 3400.. i wouldn't suggest EZ clutch because too many people (including me) are having problems with them. Do a search for "clutch and options". I made a post a while back listing about 10 different options, with sources..

LSD is a good idea but i'd wait till u get the 5 speed in and running perperly..

As for modding the 3400, i dunno your setup, but i'd do a CAI, new ls6 valve springs, and a tuned chip with a 6500 rev limit..

Dave or Chris can make (and ship) you some headers...

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Does the car run properly as it is right now (even not moving)...

If answer is no...

FIX YOUR PROBLEMS!

If answer is yes... I don't believe you

FIX YOUR PROBLEMS!

·
Registered
772 Posts
As for modding the 3400, i dunno your setup, but i'd do a CAI, new ls6 valve springs, and a tuned chip with a 6500 rev limit..
Sorry for taking this thresd in another direction but what is the benefit of LS6 Valvesprings on a stock 3400?? Or is it just required if you plan on spinning it to 6500 RPM?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
91berettagt said:

If answer is no...

FIX YOUR PROBLEMS!

FIX YOUR PROBLEMS!
Im planning it all, not doing it yet :wink:

the car is in my garage waiting for:
steering rack
chip
wiring harness
transmission

Im not modifying it until it runs right

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
sanjay said:
Sorry for taking this thresd in another direction but what is the benefit of LS6 Valvesprings on a stock 3400?? Or is it just required if you plan on spinning it to 6500 RPM?
For a more stable valvetrain, plus yes.. with stockers you'll be lucky to get over 5500rpm.. the stock springs in my 3.1 (that is now gone) floated at 4500rpm!!

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
briannflintz24 said:
sanjay said:
For a more stable valvetrain, plus yes.. with stockers you'll be lucky to get over 5500rpm.. the stock springs in my 3.1 (that is now gone) floated at 4500rpm!!
stock cam doesn't make any power past 5500rpm.. so no need for a 6500 if your still using stock cam. my valves don't even float at 6k.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
91berettagt said:

If answer is no...

FIX YOUR PROBLEMS!

FIX YOUR PROBLEMS!
:lol:

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
MAn, that car is a POS.. Sorry... Mine is just in horrible shape.. But way better than yours somehow :lol:

I'm just wondering if it's the car braking the car, or the owner breaking the car. I've seen you drive.. :p

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
I may be dealing with holes in mine, but then I see your threads and take heart.

FIX OLD STUFF BEFORE MAKING NEW PROJECTS...

I'm never going to see $$ for that grill.

:roll:

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
wasas9 said:
The LSD is good for canceling out or reducing torque steer. When you have the pedal slammed and you up into 2nd gear, you will be fighting the steering wheel. The LSD will nearly negate this.
What? :-?

An LSD has nothing to do with torque steer.

LSD is short for "Limited Slip Differential", meaning that when torque is applied to the input or ring gear of the differential, the output will be equal to both wheels, or nearly equal. There are clutches and/or spings and blocks between the spinder gears that apply preasure to do this. An LSD will still allow each wheel to travel at different speeds due to slip, hence the "limted part" of "LSD", but then hold both wheels together when traveling in a straight line.

The next step up is a locker, that will lock both wheels together, so there is no difference in wheel speed, though most will unlock when turning corners and will click when doing so.

Then there is a spool, where there is no "unlocking", both wheels turn at the exact same speed no matter what.

I don't believe anyone makes a locker (or spool) for these trannies,

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Six_Shooter said:
I don't believe anyone makes a locker (or spool) for these trannies,
Nothing that a welder can't fix :D I thought somebody on the board was running around with a welded Diff. great for track.... but driveability ie.. "turning" goes out the window.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
psquare75 said:
I may be dealing with holes in mine, but then I see your threads and take heart.

FIX OLD STUFF BEFORE MAKING NEW PROJECTS...

I'm never going to see $$ for that grill.

:roll:
I need to find a grill first, I have the money

and thanks for the advice guys, but I'm not touching any performance issues before this car runs properly. What I am doing is trying to research it first so I can know what I'm actually putting in the car and how it works

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.