J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do the 4 letters on the ECM mean?

Looking at an old one from mine, 1990 Z24 auto.

ecm# 1227730 labled ATSX (never did run well with that one, I can only suspect it was the original as that is what was there when I bought it)

The current one in my car (BFAH) from a '93 cavalier (auto I would imagine.. got it from the wrecker don't know what options the car had, cruise ctrl, etc.) Runs fine, but Cruise and TCC doesn't work (that is all new, and tcc does work when manually grounded.. )

(BATZ) from another post on here is Manual
<LINK_TEXT text="http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/1227730 ... 96154.html">http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/1227730-ecm-for-sale-t96154.html</LINK_TEXT>

Do the letters mean anything in particular? The 91 and up have a different VSS than my 1990. Same with the years Prior to mine (didn't find a 1989 to compare)

I need one in hopes that my TCC and cruise control will work.

What year/trans/ECM code/letters/cruise ctrl do You have?

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
I dont believe its as specific as it seems.

basically all you need to know is the engine and trans the chip came from.

most importantly the year of the tranny, for the VSS to work

some berettas have digital dashes which IIRC the 4 letter code is important for it to work right

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mr.Transmission shop doesn't want to give warranty on the expensive trans rebuild without the TCC operating. They say all in the trans works fine, so the problem is outside.
We replaced the VSS with one from another 1990 Z24 auto Still no go, so now I'm looking into computer things.

(computer was not in the car at the yard though or would have got that too.. )

Trial and error now..

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
if your running a chip from a '93 and you have a '90 the TCC wont work right

those have different VSS settings, and the '90 has a speedo cable AND electronic vss

so the dash appears to read right (from the cable), but the ECM is getting the wrong reading!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, exactly what I was thinking... so looking into them letter things so see what's up.

so far, seems the one that starts with "A" is for the gear Driven VSS
(though, I don't know if the ecm that came with my car was the original)

and the ones that start with "B "are the electro/magnet style ones.

Need to know what to look for. First one I bought wasn't the right one... but drives the car.

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
The letters are "broadcast codes". They signify a particular tuning aspect, or bin file. There will be differnces in a parameter or more between one broadcast code to another, hence the different codes. There are usually mutiple versions for the same or similarly equipped vehicles and ECM service number.

There is no way, that i have found to find what is different between each, by searching. The only way to really compare thgem is to read the chips, and compare bin files in an editor program.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^ makes sence.. can't read chips here though...

I suppose its not advised to try my ATSX memcal in my BFAH computer box eh?

something was fhooked up with that ATSX .. don't know where though.. car blows carbon with that one in .. (atsx memcal in atsx ecm)

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
just curious - what happened to your stock memcal?? you have 2 '90 z24s?

there is a certain way you have to insert the memcals. the chip itself must be on the left (drivers side) when your inserting it. the chip usually has that sticker over it with the 4 letter code

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I only have one Z24 now.

Now, even though its been a while since I had that computer in/out. I'm wondering what way the chip was in before?

I figured that ECM was shot, but didn't throw it out.. may be worth trying again (seriously though, car ran like shit before with that one.. could be that someone else had the chip in backwards and I just went and got another ECM.. seems long ago)
I'll try tomorrow.. I'm in for the night.

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
The MEMCALs can only be inserted one way. There are tangs that will keep them from being installed incorrectly

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
Little_Dragon said:
^^ makes sence.. can't read chips here though...

I suppose its not advised to try my ATSX memcal in my BFAH computer box eh?

something was fhooked up with that ATSX .. don't know where though.. car blows carbon with that one in .. (atsx memcal in atsx ecm)
That dosen't matter, you can run any memcal ment for the '7730 computer in there.

Six_Shooter said:
The MEMCALs can only be inserted one way. There are tangs that will keep them from being installed incorrectly
lol.. you said "Tang" :lol:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
scott0999 said:
good luck
Thanks, ... Just plugged teh old memcal (atsx) into the 93 ecm (bfah)goin for a spin.
Have the bfah memcal in case I get stuck on side of the road :oops:

If no working I'll try the whole old ecm. If not working will get ecm from another 1990 auto Z24

Other 1990's, like a corsica etc, tranns had the digital VSS too.. need to try one from a car that had the same sensor.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bingo! 90 memcal in 93 ecm works fantastic!

tcc works, even have cruise controll!

schweet!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.