J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
steve1479 said:
When I'm at a dead stop at a set of lights, mine usually idles around 600-700 RPM. What about you guys?
Wow, thats a really low Idle, funny it doesnt stall. I'm usually around 1000+/- a bit.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
jakerooni said:
Should be between 912-950 at idel ideally... Unless mods have been done of course.
its normal for an automatic...

My idle is set to 700rpm (3speed auto).

most of the 5speed guys should have around 800-900rpm

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
barrok69 said:
most of the 5speed guys should have around 800-900rpm
Mine runs that way. I'll have to slap on the Tech 1(or 2) to see where it definiately idles at.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
automatics i've seen idle as low as 500... 5 speeds are always around 800-900... and no the motor wont stall at those low speeds.. you can run the v6 as low as like 200 rpm before it even hints at stalling.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
pezed said:
automatics i've seen idle as low as 500... 5 speeds are always around 800-900... and no the motor wont stall at those low speeds.. you can run the v6 as low as like 200 rpm before it even hints at stalling.
ya, until you comming to a stop and expect it to settle that low :lol:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mine is weird though, iunno if its supposed to do this, when it reaches a full stop it just drops to 600 then up to 700 and loafts around there, what concerns me is that when i first start the car and drive, the oil pressure is almost at the top of the gauge and the idle is ususally around 800, after 15 mins of driving the oil pressure gauge will be at half or so and the idle will be at 700, of course when I press the gas it goes back up, but Im not sure if this is normal or a problem.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
when mine was an auto it idled at around 500 at the lights :eek: never really stalled just jumped and surged and shit.

now that its a 5 speed it runs fine but in nutral coming down a mountain it idles really low, sometimes 500 or so... and when you let out of the clutch when slowing down it jumps and surges.....

at idle its at 950

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
steve1479 said:
mine is weird though, iunno if its supposed to do this, when it reaches a full stop it just drops to 600 then up to 700 and loafts around there, what concerns me is that when i first start the car and drive, the oil pressure is almost at the top of the gauge and the idle is ususally around 800, after 15 mins of driving the oil pressure gauge will be at half or so and the idle will be at 700, of course when I press the gas it goes back up, but Im not sure if this is normal or a problem.
When oil is cold, it has the consistency of thick maple syrup (which is why your oil pressure maxes out.) After the engine warms up to normal operating temperature, the oil warms up also and becomes the consistency similar to water. When you speed up the engine, your oil pump spins faster thus increasing oil pressure.

For example, you ever changed your oil after the engine has ran for awhile? When you watch the oil drain, you might notice it flows out like water. If you ever changed your oil in cold weather, notice the oil just drips like maple syrup out of a maple tree?

I don't know about your idle speed dropping though.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
projectcavalierz24sc said:
steve1479 said:
When oil is cold, it has the consistency of thick maple syrup (which is why your oil pressure maxes out.) After the engine warms up to normal operating temperature, the oil warms up also and becomes the consistency similar to water. When you speed up the engine, your oil pump spins faster thus increasing oil pressure.

For example, you ever changed your oil after the engine has ran for awhile? When you watch the oil drain, you might notice it flows out like water. If you ever changed your oil in cold weather, notice the oil just drips like maple syrup out of a maple tree?

I don't know about your idle speed dropping though.
Thanks, I never knew that (no sarcasm here)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.