J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, heres what happened. Friday i was driving and my brakes worked fine. Saturday morning when i woke up and drove my car, the rear brakes made a grinding sound on my first stop. i was a little concerned but on my next stop they sounded fine. i continued to drive the rest of the day with no prob. When i woke up on sunday and drove my car, there was a more serious grinding and a jerking in my car from the rear brakes, i was really worried and drove around the block but after a few stops no sounds or any problems. I dont know much about drum breaks, what could my problem be, do they just need new pads or something?

· Registered
425 Posts
Did it happen to rain or was it humid? Somtimes rust can for on the rotors very quickly especially after it rains so the first couple of stops can casue a grinding like noise. this isn't a problem the rotors will clean off them selves but if it continues after a couple of stops you should check the pads see if they are getting low on material.

· Premium Member
11,761 Posts
ritchic said:
Did it happen to rain or was it humid? Somtimes rust can for on the rotors very quickly especially after it rains so the first couple of stops can casue a grinding like noise. this isn't a problem the rotors will clean off them selves but if it continues after a couple of stops you should check the pads see if they are getting low on material.
He's talkin about the rear breaks :wink:

· Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya, my problem was coming from my rear brakes, drums. Does that make a difference? Can rust form on those because, yes, all of this recent problems ive had, it has been raining for three days straight and this problem arose in that time. What i am wondering is why would i notice a problem and then after a few stops it goes away and works and sounds PERFECT. I would like to hope that it is only rust because at the moment i dont have much to spend on all new springs, drums, etc. Thanks for all your help, keep me informed.

· Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this morning when i woke up and went to go to school i pulled out and my brakes were fine, not a single problem. i think it had to have something to do with the rain. for future reference, how do you know when you need new brake pads in the rear, do they start to squeak like the front ones? i dont really know much about drums.

· Registered
2,926 Posts
Rule of thumb usually is every second front brake change you replace the back shoes. And when you change the fronts its a good idea to readjust your back breaks cause as your front breaks wear down the back self adjusts themselves to compensate for the lost breaking in the front.

· Registered
2,926 Posts
And also when there is a lot of moister in the air and the car has been sitting long enough, what I do before I pull away is pump the breaks a few times and that usually does the trick. And what also will agravate it, what I have found is if you leave youe E-break on for a long period of time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.