J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok heres the thing.hubby and neighbour have been working on his 91 3.1 v6 cavalier and are really at a lose for what it could be...any help or feed bk for this laughing wife would be greatly appreciated ..

The car itself will start up run fine for like 5 to 10 minutes and then just die after reaching normal running temp.When you go to restart the car it will crank and will restart but will sputter till it dies right after.

THINGS ALREADY DONE TO TRY TO RESOLVE THE PROB
MAP SENSOR
FUEL FILTER
COIL PACK AND IGNITION MODULE
CLEANED THE EGR
IAC SENSOR
please help they are driving me nuts with this thing

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well just been told they got one out there and have yet to try that .will try though. What about the crankshaft position sensor someone has mentioned that as well? tHANKS

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
blcavgr said:
Well just been told they got one out there and have yet to try that .will try though. What about the crankshaft position sensor someone has mentioned that as well? tHANKS
usually when the CPS fails it just dies completely.. but you can check it easy, put a multimeter on it, should be 980K ohms.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
The only way to solve this problem without going broke throwing parts at it is to get a scan tool and plug it in. This way you at least have some insight into what is happening. Some other things to check are fuel pressure, and the presence of spark when it reaches temp.

There's tons of possibilities, a bad temperature sensor causing it to run excessively rich, a CPS or ICM failing under heat, etc, etc..

- Frank

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had one that would do that. Seem to run fine cold but after it heated up it would quit firing. Let it cool for a while and it would crank again. Turns out it WAS the crankshaft sensor so yes the crank sensor can cause that problem :)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
if you have a shop manual on the car there's a section that explains how to flash trouble codes from the com to the service eng light if u don't have a code reader. codes are also listed in the manualthat'll get ya close anyways but only which circut so for ex if a code for cps shows up it could be the sensor a loose cosection or broken wire most of the thime it's the sensor!
now when the key is turned on does the cooling fan start with it if so that's a sign of a faulty com hapened to me one in my car fryed got one from a j-yard it was no good either went through 3 in total (never installed) went n bought one brand new 150 CAD for a 87 pontiac 6000 le 2.8 mpfi they dont have the governor :wink: good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.