J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my owners manual recommends 5w30, but everyone tells me 10w30. The 5w30 will run better in the cold b/c its thinner but will be watery when its warm. Should I just use 10W30 and what is the best to use?

Korey :moon:

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
thats what ive always used. but im going to be switching to synthetic in my ga :D

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I run 10w30 castrol syntec all year round in my 87z, just rolled over 300000kms :) still goes like hell. Doesnt leak a drop of anything.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
wally if ya wanna get real tricky do what i do, put 10w30 in in the spring, and summer.
and before it snows switch back to 5w30.
i also live in ontario, i cant think of where indiana is off of the top of my head but if it doesnt get to cold there then 10w30 should be good year round.
it can get up to -30c here so if i want that bitch to start in the winter i better have 5w in there.

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
i use 5-w 30 in the summer and 10 w in the winter, this oil change coming up (this weekend) im switching to 10 w 30 because its starting to get really cold!

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
soup said:
i use 5-w 30 in the summer and 10 w in the winter, this oil change coming up (this weekend) im switching to 10 w 30 because its starting to get really cold!
dont you mean 5w30 in winter and 10w30 in summer??

·
Registered
983 Posts
I use Quaker State High Mileage 10W30 in my Z. I wanted 5W30 for the winter, but I haven't been able to find that same oil in a 5W30. Do they make it? If I switch to another brand of 5W30 for the winter am I gonna screw things up since the car is used to the Quaker State High Mileage allready(used since I owned the car last December, so there's been like 4 oil changes with this stuff) ?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
i'm thinking of going with 10W40 now because i've got over 3200000K on the engine... been using castrol so far.. may be using shell rotella next because its what i have..used in in the other cars and they have very little wear on the engines... thoughts?

·
Banned
7,153 Posts
stu71584 said:
3 million kilometers? how much is that in miles?
I think he means 320 thousand kilometers. 3.2million just won't happen.

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
brandonarenas said:
IuseNothinButMobile1.....10w30....spacebarWontWork :evil: :evil:
DUDE!!!! i cant stop laughing, thats great!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
385 Posts
tree924 said:
i'm thinking of going with 10W40 now because i've got over 3200000K on the engine... been using castrol so far.. may be using shell rotella next because its what i have..used in in the other cars and they have very little wear on the engines... thoughts?
***Dr. Evil*** 3.2 miiiiiilllliiiooonnnn kilometers!
j/k :p
That would be awesome it if did have that many. They would make a commercial about your car! My friend worked at a GM dealership for a few years and knew a guy who put over 1 million kms on his astro van. He commuted from Calgary to Florida weekly. He had to replace the alternator every two months. I was told that GM found out and gave him a new van.(I think it was a clearance old model lol) Anyways, sorry about getting off topic. I use 5W30 in winter and 10W30 in the summer. I alternate with synthetic and high milage oil.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.