J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just a couple of questions here. I just got a Pioneer DEH-2500 deck and 2 12" Volfenhag subs all run by a Kenwood Kac-929 amp. I just got the system installed today and it BUMPS, I wasnt expecting much out of the Volfenhags but I got them for a really nice price ($295 usd for 2 12"s, sealed box, and the amp).

So today after its done installing, the guy at the garage turns the music up, i instantly started smiling but noticed a weird rattling sound coming out of the right dash speaker. The guy said it had blown and it wouldnt be too long until it would die altogether. Right now I only have 2 small speakers in my dash, I'm not sure if their stock or not since I got this car during the summer, but today I saw that they are Clarion 45W speakers.

I guess my major question is what kind of speakers should I be looking at? I dont know the size of those dash ones but i'm guessing 3.5"? I was looking at these speakers: <LINK_TEXT text="http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk ... &catid=366">http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=soupx35&store=&catid=366</LINK_TEXT>

I dont want to spend too much money so I'm really just wondering what kind of speakers I should be getting for my car to get a decent sound output. I believe the deck is 50 W x 4 for speakers but 22 W rms, so should I get 3.5" speakers, tweeters and 6 x 9's for my rears?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, thanks for the replies. So 4 x 6's would fit after some cutting? The guy did say he'd install the new speakers for me for free but I dont want to take advantage of that since he has a business to run too. My car should have come with room for 6x9's right? Or would they have to do something back there too? Right now its all just carpet back there, Thanks. (Oh right now i'm looking at these for the 3.5's:

<LINK_TEXT text="http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk ... &catid=366">http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=blapcxg352&store=&catid=366</LINK_TEXT>

· Registered
6,398 Posts
6x9's are stock for the rear, but unless you seal them off from the pressure of the subs they WILL blow in very little time. (The stock GM baffles will work if you can get them to work) As for the fronts, if you hace a Phase-I 4x6's are a little easier to put in than in a Phase-II, but still alot of work, 4" speakers might be a better solution, but the still involve cutting.

· Registered
119 Posts
Well I have a Phase 1 Z, and 4x6's are no trouble at all. That material where the 3 1/2's go is foam. Just take a dremel tool (not exactly sure if thats what its called) and saw along the outline and 4x6's drop right in. The guy did it in all of about 5 minutes. The only thing that makes it hard is that the window is in the way.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies, I'll probably go with the 4's and maybe the rears, not too sure on those yet.

Seems like I'm probably the unluckiest person in the whole world, I got up this morning and a couple of my buddies came over to look at the system. The guy who installed it, faced the sub inwards instead of outwards like I thought most people did so I hadn't looked at the subs in action yet, so when my friends came over we turned the box around and what do you know? Only the sub on the left works, I messed around with the wires on the back of the box (the monster cable) but it still doesnt work. Could the guy who installed it have messed up the amp settings? I saw how he did it, but I'm pretty scared I'll mess up the one sub I have right now. Any help is appreciated, the amp is Kenwood KAC-929.

If anyone thinks they can help me, I'll be here all night so I can go and check anything that you have questions about. I know its a pretty vague description of the problem but I thought that I would rather try to do something about it than sit around and wait until tomorrow comes hoping my sub is okay. Thanks again.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, I bought these used from a friend. He said the lady at the UPS there made sure that the box which contained the enclosure was padded correctly but could it have been possible for the sub to have come loose or something as it was shipped to me? I don't know if thats possible but I'm just wondering why its like this. Thanks.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, the wires seemed wierd so some friends and I changed them around, the sub still doesnt work. I read today that if you push a sub in gently and it makes a scraping noise then the sub is blown, and this is exactly what mine is doing. I guess I'll just have to get a new one :(

Now to fix my blown speakers, anyone know if some Pioneer TS-G1017 4" speakers would make my system sound better? I'm not going for something totally insane here, just some speakers that won't blow so easily and will sound good with my Pioneer DEH-1500 deck. The speakers have 100 W max power and 20 W rms, the deck says 22 W rms and 50 W x 4 so will these go okay together? Thanks!

· Registered
3,087 Posts
4x6 speakers will not produce accurate bass just like a 6x9. Suggesting oval speakers over round speakers is not a good way to give advice because it's wrong! :wink: Putting 4" speakers in the dash isn't going to make a big difference in how your system sounds because they should be crossed over just as high as the 3.5's therefore playing the same frequencies because they really shouldn't be playing bass at all. You should stick with the 3.5 speakers because they are cheaper and easier to work with. You can put 6x9's in the rear which is okay because most people want their sound stage up front anyway so they will be for rear fill. I've never heard of 6x9's blowing because the subs were not sealed off from the 6x9's. But I do know that if you don't have them mounted squarely against the rear deck, whether on top or bottom, they will sound like boo boo.

· Registered
4,690 Posts
4uhataz said:
I've never heard of 6x9's blowing because the subs were not sealed off from the 6x9's. But I do know that if you don't have them mounted squarely against the rear deck, whether on top or bottom, they will sound like boo boo.
My little brother just blew his 'cause he had a 15" Boston sub and an RF 1000bd in the trunk putting down the full 1000W....... first it warped the cone of the speaker and then the speaker went all together....... only difference being it was a 5.25" $300 set of Alpine speakers.......... course the sub only lasted 20mins aswell-- he needs to learn that the louder doesn't mean the better.......

· Registered
6,398 Posts
It's happened to me 2 times now. First time I hadn't sealed off completely a top of the line set of MBQ 5.25" components, then this time in the Neon there wer some Infinity 6x9's in the deck which I didn't care about, so I let em hang and my Boston Pro's blew them out in short order, now they just crackle. It's kinda funny.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.