J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 89 z24- i really like it and all but i would like to look into getting something that wouold last longer and be a little newer....
But i need to find it as cheap as possible...
I think i want another z24 for the speed thing...
Would a 95 z24 be good for me to look at ?
is tere a difference between 95 and 98 z24?
What prices will i be looking at?
Thanks
AC

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
95 is a pretty bad year. First year for the new generation. That is always when they are still ironing things out. It had the 2.3 Engine instead of the 2.4, as well as many other problems. I would stay away from a 95 if I were you

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Another thing, didn't the '95 have a 3 speed auto like the 2nd gen cavs?

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
It was a midyear switch. Some got the 3 speed, some got the 4 speed. Same thing with the computers. Some are OBDI (chipable, like the 1st and 2nd gen), while the later ones are OBDII (non chipable)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so not a 95 or 96, that would leave me with a 97 or 98?
how much are these used?
Thanks again
AC

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm going with new, payments are great right now for 2002 Cavaliers, low interest and $2500 cash back in my area. Just make sure you get a 2.4 twincam engine not any 2.2. Too slow. The new ecotech 2.2L is interesting no spark plug wires, coil on plug design. Sounds cool, but they make less power than the 2.4. I don't think the LS sport or ecotech engine are available to buy yet though. 2001 Z24 is your best bet, still can get these new with year end closeouts you can get a bargain.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
The 2.4 doeesn't have plug wires either

The ecotec is supposed to be a tougher engine with more performance potential. Whether that is true, I dunno.

If you don't wanna go new, I would go with a 98. You can probably expect to pay $8,000- $9,500 US, depending on options, condition, miles etc.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have a few buddies who own 98 cavs and they like them and there pretty quick too they picked them up for around $9900.00 can. overall i think there a good buy, i wouldn't give up my V6 for any thing smaller though.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok,
my cousin just bought a 94 acura integra and its a 4cyl manual and that little thing is fast!
I know an auto would not be as fast but would a new z24 have that kinda torque?
I really want something dependable with quick take off.
whats the difference between a 98 and a 01?
Thanks
AC

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
It's not the torque that make integras fast cuz they got practically none compared to our cars. Sure some of them might make more hp than a 3.1 from their little 1 point something litre engines...i'd still rather own a Z24 any day.
The day I buy an import is the day I marry my sister...(oh wait, I don't even have a sister)
Nuff said.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.