J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After going through a lot of Topics and posts here, I find a lot of rice haters....why?
Do you people realize that our cavaliers are sold over seas with a Toyota badge on them? Almost everything built in the US today has Jap parts in it. http://www.bestjapancar.com/TOYOTA/cavcoupFR2.jpg</URL>">

(and yes it's a real pic)
Who really cares about what badge is on a car? Dont we all have the same goal? Pimpin and trick out a ride to express our own individualities, and performance needs? Great hate rice in a competitive sense but realize that most of them are awsome machines that will make your car frown when given the chance. Dont get me wrong, I absolutely love my Cavi's, but cummon guys lets be realistic in our efforts

·
Registered
679 Posts
rice haters yes, import haters....not necessarily.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well could someone clarify for me what are the differences (in your minds) between "rice" and imports? I have 2 cavaliers and a 2nd Gen DSM with a Mitsubishi 4 popper, what does a car need to be considered rice?

Not being a smart ass or any thing I would really like to know what you guys are talking about because I never looked at it from that angle before.

·
Registered
527 Posts
To me a car that is "rice" is a car that has a lot of dumass modes done to it, and the driver thinks that the modes make the car go faster. The kind of modes I'm talking about are

tin can muffler tips
lots of stickers
exotic paint job
big spoilers

none of these modes are that bad(as long as they are not taken to the extreme) as long a they have something under the hood. But most cars that I consider rice have stock engines and the driver thinks that it is really fast

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok that was the idea I was starting to get. I've always considered anything Japanese to be Rice. But I think your description fits better.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
On 2001-12-04 21:40, shaderick wrote:
To me a car that is "rice" is a car that has a lot of dumass modes done to it, and the driver thinks that the modes make the car go faster. The kind of modes I'm talking about are

tin can muffler tips
lots of stickers
exotic paint job
big spoilers

none of these modes are that bad(as long as they are not taken to the extreme) as long a they have something under the hood. But most cars that I consider rice have stock engines and the driver thinks that it is really fast
I dont think that the driver does these mods because he thinks that it will make it faster, but mainly because it will make it look cooler. If you consider rice an import that looks like its really fast, but has a stock engine (aka. not very fast) then I have to say that I like rice, because that car looks really cool,and its great on fuel.
IT doesnt matter if a car looks faster than it really is, because the 2nd. gen Z24 look hella fast too, which I know because I get asked to dragrace just about every day.
Presonally im gonna invest my money into my car in order to make it look cooler, and investing thousands of dollars in a Z24 performance wise is just plain retarded.
I payed $4700 for my 92 Z24, and could have bought a 88 Mustang Saleen GT Cobra
5L for $3999.
This car would have been much faster than the Z24, but the fuel mileage sucks, and considering I live in canada where we have at least snow for 3-4 months, a rear-wheel drive would have been troublesome to drive.
Anyone who says that imports are pieces of shit, should have his brain examined, because they are a lot better quality than domestic, but the parts are expensive (the reason I did not buy one), and buying one new, is far more costly than a 3rd. gen. Cavalier.
If you are driving one of these new cavaliers, and are insulting imports its either because you are jealous because you couldnt afford a quality car, and had to settle for a cheap Cavalier, or you are just plain retarded and dont know shit about cars, which would explain why U some people think imports are crap.

Just my thought on this issue;

-John

·
Registered
527 Posts
easy there john. I also said that the driver thinks that these modes make the car go faster. I am certainly not saying that exterior modes are bad. It just pisses me off when some dumbass gets a huge spoiler and talkers about how much down force he is getting, or getting a big tip on his muffler and thinks that he is getting better exhaust flow.

That's rice

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah that's kinda what I was trying to say without bashing J-bodies (cuz I do love 'em)
But still anyone who owns a cavalier and bashes Jap cars is in WAY over their head. Our cars are great and all but they are a thing of the past and we are just trying to hold on to them like our parents did with the old mustangs and vettes and such. I hope no one takes this shit the wrong way, I'm not bashing anyone here. I just try to work my way through both sides of the custom compact scene foreign and domestic. Hence, owning and modding a Mitsubishi and cavalier

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well obviously THAT car was not sold here because the wheel is on the wrong side. Also, I could be wrong but i was informed a while back that NUMI assembled small GMs like Cavs and metros in the states. I could be wrong though. Anyway, I think that when most people bash on rice rockets, it's not that they really think that they're bad cars but it's more like a personal preference. Sort of like football teams. Even though a fan might admit that the opposing team is better than his, if he's a true fan, he's still going to bash on the other team...just for the fun of it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a good point too.

Ponder this: Could it also be that Cavi owners who bash rice are just frustrated by the fact that they couldnt afford that V-Tech Prelude, or the Eclipse GSX. I know when I just had my cavi, I was really pissed off about getting my ass kicked by every civic I ran into. So I got a Jap Car. (even though it was built in illinois)

·
Registered
16 Posts
first of all i've raced 3 civics and never lost to any of them, 2nd, price has nothing to do with it. My cavi is not my only car. I also own a 99 Tahoe which definately cost more than a prelude. I WOULD NEVER BUY A HONDA AND WASTE MY MONEY ON IMPORT TAXES.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I could go out and buy a new car, make payments on it, and watch the bluebook drop, I know because I've done it before. I buy with cash now. I like cars that are sleepers, everyone knows that preludes, camaros, and mustangs are fast. It's just allot cooler when I lay posi marks all the way down the street in my beat ass grand national, because it doesn't look fast, and it's beat.

·
Registered
679 Posts
sorry 1phatcav, but my dad DID hold on to his '69 vette and it is faster than any car i will ever drive.

·
Registered
97 Posts
A jap car is not a rice car. i would love to own a 300zx but price wise it aint gonna happen. i bought my Z for $2200, and it was well worth it. Sure it takes alot of driving effort to make in handle like an integra, but i have ripped integras off the line from day one. But they eventually catch up at 60+. In normal driving i will take my Z over any integra or civic, cause i have torque. if i wanted to race then i would just do a little work on it. My car was great value and i didnt just buy cause i couldnt afford some civic. CIVICS are gay. But they are not always rice. Rice is a 5in muffler tip, big ass wing, ugly and badfitting body kit, shitty paint job, and different color interior. Thats rice, i would take my Z over that any day.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Well said naaz, it's so true. There's finally someone who sees my point. Civics are gay. They're woman cars. Especially the hatchbacks.
And it's true that for regular every day dridving, a 3.1 is way better than a little 1.7 litre 4 cylinder honda engine, since it doesn't have to turn at 6500 rpm to drive up a damn hill or merge with traffic on the highway. I'm sure it's nice to have 170 hp in one of those little v-tec engines, but when you aren't racing, you're way better off with something that actually has torque and doesn't have to blow itself up just to make some hp.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok guys...chill, I was NOT giving honda any praise I myself would rather have a pinto than a Civic, I was just using them as examples of popular cars in the import scene. And cars that have beat the shit out of my 89 100hp (give or take) 2.0 Cavi.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I thought that this was a j-body page and not a imports page... so why are people trying to defend them soo much... why dont they go to like a imports site if they wanna talk imports.

just my view on that

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
On 2001-12-05 20:13, gunman wrote:
Well said naaz, it's so true. There's finally someone who sees my point. Civics are gay. They're woman cars. Especially the hatchbacks.
And it's true that for regular every day dridving, a 3.1 is way better than a little 1.7 litre 4 cylinder honda engine, since it doesn't have to turn at 6500 rpm to drive up a damn hill or merge with traffic on the highway. I'm sure it's nice to have 170 hp in one of those little v-tec engines, but when you aren't racing, you're way better off with something that actually has torque and doesn't have to blow itself up just to make some hp.
I agree with you that for everyday driving, torque is important, but I just dont see how civics are gay. I would would appreciate it if you could explain to me what makes a car "gay".

-John

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.