J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

All right, as you are probably aware, I've been on a quest to put tires on my car that have no business being there. They are too wide (235/45/17).

I already rolled out the fenders so that isn't a problem. I got the back wheels on fine and they look great.

Front is a different story. The tires touch the strut plate and cannot be bolted down. I got a wheel spacer (1/4") and that pushes the rim out just enough so that the tire barely contacts the strut (wheel spins freely but you can hear the faint squeak of rubber-on-metal when the tire comes to rest). The only problem now is that I'm not sure if it is safe, owing to the "shorter" stud for the lugs to grab onto. The lug tightens down after about 4 turns or so.

Does anyone have experience with these things? I know spacers are "rice" but at this point, my only concern is safety. Any thoughts welcome. Thanks. :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
I think you are going to have to figure out a way to clearance the strut or get smaller tires.

I don't feel safe with the front studs being so short on mine.. and i don't have spacers. :lol: Ask V6bluebird (Damon) about how bad it sucks when a front wheel breaks off. He had it easy, if that happened on the highway you'd be screwed.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
yeah, it's, uh..... not a fun thing to deal with. i really did have ti fairly easy, happened under 5mph, leaving a parking lot. screwed my fender, the liner, the GFX, and the wheel bearing. The amout of damage it would have caused if i had just been going down the road isn't something i want to think about. Try for longer wheel studs first, sounds like a plan to me, but if you cant get them(dont see why you couldnt tho) get different wheels.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
theophile said:
What about longer studs? Sounds like the answer to my problems.
get normal tires... you don't even need 235's....

and yes, you can use longer studs.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the suggestions but let's refrain from the different-tires-different-rims ideas. I already know that. The tires are too wide. I know. That's not the point. I want to make these work.

I also looked into those wheel adapter things. I found one that's 1.25" thick, which is way too much. I want .5" at MOST.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
i have 235/45/17s on my z and its not a problem, other than i have to raise the back up atleast an inch after my drop springs settled.

Its the rims not the tires.

Back on topic though, you can replace your studs with longer ones, but i don't think that will be much safer.. you can try..

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
I'm not a fan of spacers at all, and using a 1/2" spacer is just plain bad news. Spacers shouldn't have a place in the aftermarket, since all they do is band-aid the real issue. If you really want to space anything, space the bearing away from the spindle, but the most you'll get there is about 1/4". You can use longer studs if you're really intent on causing pre-mature bearing failure with a spacer, since 4 turns is not enough. The nuts should thread on at least the diameter of the stud (12mm), and at a 1.5 pitch, thats like 8 turns or so.

I know you don't want to hear "use a different wheel/tire combo", but thats exactly what I'm going to tell you. Spacers just aren't safe.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, let me ask you this. The rims I've been driving on for the past few years have a 35mm offset. The new ones probably have a 40mm offset (may be 48mm, not sure). Assuming the 40mm figure, the 1/4" spacer would push it back out 6.35mm. That would essentially make the offset 33.65mm. That's not that far from 35mm.

Is that right? Is there more to it than that?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, one more. I just went out to look at the rims more closely because this particular rim came in a 40 and 48 offset and I don't know which I got. I measured a wheel backspace of exactly 5.75" but I couldn't get a good measurement of the rim width because the tires are on it. However, I noticed a stamp on the back of the wheel that said "e48". I'm kind of hoping this means it's the 48mm ofset cause that buys me room to bump the wheel out with a spacer without risking excess stress on the bearing (right?)

This would also explain why the rears don't even come close to scraping like I thought they might, and it would explain why I am having the rubbing issue up front in the first place, even though my math (assuming a 40mm offset) indicated I should be fine.

Since the "stock" offset on these cars is 40mm, if I have a 48mm offset rim, that means I can space them out 8mm and it will be fine. Right?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I'm running a 17x7.5" rim that actually measures 8.5" wide with the tire on it also has +40 offset. tires i'm using are 215/45R17...anything bigger than a 225 your gonna start having body rub issues when you turn your sterring wheel more than 30%. the extra width of those tires will contact the lower portion of the wheel well (front of rockerpanel/bottom of A-Pillar)....which isn't soft bendable metal my any means.... so what do you think is gonna go first....

You'll be on the road taking a hard corner....turn the wheels... the POP.

Just get proper wheels man... why you so bent on using something that you know doesn't work.... :-?

every car has limitations before you really need to go completely custom and start hacking away at stuff...

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The only body rum issue I had with the front one when I had it on was with a small section of the splash guard at the front. Most of that is gone anyway so I have no problem cutting whatever is necessary.

I have no rubbing issues in the back.

Do you guys really think that if I had the means to "get proper wheels" I wouldn't already have done that? I don't have the money. I don't have the money for tires either. I either have to make these work or absorb the loss and I have no intention of absorbing the loss.

Could someone please comment on my "math" here?

Since the "stock" offset on these cars is 40mm, if I have a 48mm offset rim, that means I can space them out 8mm and it will be fine. Right?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ah, thanks. I called ADR this morning and found out the the "e48" stamp does mean that they have a 48mm offset. I just ordered some 8mm spacers which I am hoping will solve all my problems. Now I just need to get some longer studs so my wheels don't fall off.

To clarify, using 8mm spacers with a 48mm offset wheel is substantially the same as using the 40mm offset version of that same wheel, right?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.