J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced my front wheel studs with longer ones. (to get me by so I can get home with my current wheels) now that i have different wheels they require the normal studs. my question is instead of buying again new studs to fit back the original lenght can I just cut off a portion back to the original lenght? or do I just have to suck it up and buy new ones (OEM lenght)?

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
i don't see why cutting them off would cause a problem, why not try using the longer studs with your new wheels and use open ended lug nuts so the excess can come thru, i don't know what kind of wheels your running but if you have centre caps that cover the lugs that would work the best

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
seanski said:
i don't see why cutting them off would cause a problem, why not try using the longer studs with your new wheels and use open ended lug nuts so the excess can come thru, i don't know what kind of wheels your running but if you have centre caps that cover the lugs that would work the best
yeah i put my new wheels on last night and the open ended lug nut couldn't go on all the way or I should say "tight" because its the type of nut that you have to tighten it in the middle and partial of the stud sticks out thus you can only tighten it so much before the stud sticks out. then to try to get it off lol well thats another story. The type of wheel that I have requires the type of lug that has the "torque" inside ot the nut aka not a acorn style nut.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pezed said:
cutting them off should work fine.. you might need to use a small file to fix the thread at the cut so the lug nut will get a proper start.
sweet thanks.. I'm going to start on it tonight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.