J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came home from school 20 minutes ago...car was running fine, I came inside to grab something to eat then went back out cause I had to go to the store.

Get in my car...turn the key in the ignition and I get nothing...the car is just absolutly dead, it doesnt even attempt to turn over.

There was a clicking sound underneath the hood...so I popped the hood and had my mom turn the ignition key for me to see where the clicking was coming from (i figured it was the alternator).

Anyways the clicking seems to be coming from the middle of the engine and a very small amount by the firewall right in front of the driver seat. The alternator is on the passenger side and I didnt hear clicking coming from it. I found this weird.

So, the car is dead as can be and there is a clicking noise...whats wrong with it? The clicking has thrown me off...but I'm assuming I need a new alternator and battery, yes?

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
first check the battery because it would be cheaper to replace that than the alternator, charge the battery with jumper cables, start the car, if the car stays running its the battery, if the car dies after a few minutes i would bet the alt. is bad.

·
Banned
7,153 Posts
soup said:
first check the battery because it would be cheaper to replace that than the alternator, charge the battery with jumper cables, start the car, if the car stays running its the battery, if the car dies after a few minutes i would bet the alt. is bad.
Good TJ!! *tosses you a cookie*

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
whats up with this latley, everytime i tell some one how to fix something someone else says good job soup, or good posting or somehting along those lines!!! :-? :-? :-? :-?

·
Registered
705 Posts
this happened to me and it ended up being my ignition switch (located under steering column) it has four bolts that hold it on and the cam loose it just needed to be tightened... after that it worked fine...

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
nick-z24 said:
Mine does this every once and a while but it only does it like three times then starts. On mine it is the starter. So i think it might be the starter.
Yep it's deffinately the starter. Sounds like the selenoid inside it is bad. Shouldn't be to much to get re-built. I had mine done for $20 bux.

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
buriedalive said:
Took the battery to Part Source to havew them test it...it was shot.

Bought a new one, put it in, everything works fine now.

Now to switch the VSS tomorrow :x
told ya ;)

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
kaseobeer2585 said:
yea go soup!!! you rule man!!! woooooooooo!!!
damn what is this, all the time!! :-? :-?

i help someone and its like the firggin highlight of everyones day.....lmao :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

whatever floats your boat;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.