J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive downloaded moons magnaflow exhaust sound clip, and it sounds sweet, but I have found that where I live, its hard to get one of them for cheap.
Basically what I want is something that will make my exhaust note just a bit louder, because the stock exhaust sounds nice, but its too quiet, but then again, I want s something that is not too loud either, so that the cops leave me alone.
So anyone know a cheap way to make your exhaust sound a bit louder.
Would Cherry-bombs work fine???
Any help would be appreciated

Thanks- John

·
Registered
24 Posts
well man, a cherry bomb is pretty much like an import or domestic performance muffler, they are all built the same. i had that question when i worked at speedpeople and pretty much they are all the same. my buddie has a z w/ 2.8 and an areospeed sm 101 muff and it is not too loud but when u hammer on it it is quite cool, but for the most part the cherry bombs are very similar to the "BIG CANISTER" muff's.. really it is ur call on how u would like it to sound, want that rappy poppy sound then go with the cherry/canister or if u want a deep sound go with a flomaster, or i hear that the pep boys raptor muff's sound sweet, all ur call!!

[ This Message was edited by: 2ndgencavman on 2001-10-19 23:39 ]

·
17,284 Posts
I have a Flowmaster 40 series muffler. It sounds great! It is a little on the loud side, but overall, it's a good sounding muffler! I would recomment it!

Brad

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Flowmaster 40 series sounds good, I want something thats a bit loud, but have U had trouble with the cops ??? Because I want something thats loud while still being legal.

Thanks;
-John

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm putting a flowmaster 40 series on my Z in a week...I've already been with someone who's been pulled over for having the same muffler on a 92 Cutlass Supreme DHOC...I'm hoping I don't have the same problem.

·
Registered
68 Posts
well i have an arospeed muffler and it sounds great but what made a big difference in sound quality was takin out the cat. converter u dont need it all it does is get clogged up and if u cut it out yourself and put either a cherry bomb or a striat pipe and then a a muffler at the end that comes with a 3.5 -4.5 inch tip your exhaust will sound nice

·
17,284 Posts
I havn't had any problems with my Flowmaster 40 series! I've had it on for 4 months now and so far (knock on wood!) not a problem with the cops yet!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a flowmaster 40 series on my 2.2 Cavalier. I've been pulled over once for it in 3 months, not speeding just sound. He was more concerned with if I had weed though(I'm not a smoker). He had nothing so let me go without a warning or ticket. It sounds good. I think flowmaster mufflers make any exhaust note sound terrific. It adds a sound to it that no other muffler can touch. Its not a smooth sound, but more of a metallic sound. I can't explain it. Flowmaster mufflers are cheap compared with the import style mufflers, they add torque with the design and don't hurt performance. If you have $80 laying around buy one and try it. Having one on the V6 must sound like heaven, they sound great stock.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have no cat and the stock muffler with leaky piping on mine right now. I got pulled over for speeding a while back and the cop told me to get it fixed. He didn't tell me if it was to loud or how to fix it, so I gonna buy the dynomax pipe and put on a 40 series flowmaster also. It will be louder than before!!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Does any of the above mufflers improve performance? or do they just sound really cool

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just a muffler won't do anything noticeable in performance, you might notice some more low end torque with a flowmaster but anything else is all in your mind. A muffler will pretty much just change the sound of the exhaust. A catback system will give you some power. Something that you will definately notice even without other mods is a custom made exhaust. From exhaust manifold to tip. Getting a high flow cat will give more power too. Larger diameter piping will make the exhaust note deeper. Also, the farther the exhaust tip is from the car the less interior noise you'll get, turnout type tips will also quiet it down. For those that have stock exhausts, you might be thinking why would you want to quiet it down? Trust me it can get LOUD! I have rattles and vibrations inside my car from it, its annoying as hell. When I go into the shop to have a custom job build I'm either replacing the flowmaster with one they suggest(these guys own a race team) or, I'm putting a glasspack before the flowmaster to get rid of some vibration and deepen the tone.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Dynomax has a muffler out that is fairly quite at cruising speeds, but when you hammer the gas it is loud.

I have never heard of flow master before i came to this site, but with all these people having them they must be a good muffler.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a flowmaster 40 series on my car and it definatly added a noticeable increase in hp but it was too loud even with the cat, i just got the dynomax catback thats a 2 1/4 inch pipe and the super turbo muffler and i took off the cat :eek: , this setup sounds absolutly incredible for a v-6, its raspy and deep but not too loud, it sounds very mean but its not loud enough to get pulled over, i definatly recommend it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i ahve a '91 z24 w/ a 3.1 in and its a 5spd. i took out the cat ran 2.5" piping to a cherry bomb turbo muffler(not the turboII).the turbo is a lil bit better and more expensive.then on the end of it i went w/ a 3.5" stainless tip. it looks nice and when i rev it up at a light it sounds pretty cool. i also like the tone cruising at highway speeds.

·
Registered
298 Posts
my 89 z has a Ravine exhaust with soime three iche tips. sounds pretty much the same as moon's. can get quit loud though especially when in more confined spaces like downtown or something, but i love it. checkout midas thats where i got mine and it only cost me 100 U.S. but then again my dad is good buddies with the manager there so might not get it for as cheap as i did :evil:

Timberwolf

·
Registered
306 Posts
My buddy has a ractive muffler on his 92 240sx. It is super quiet when the car is at idle but when he's cruisin down town, he regularily sets off car alarms when he drives by. I have had headaches by the end of long cruises with him. I know another guy with a 2.2 cavalier that has a ractive exhaust system and it sounds awesome. He has a cold air intake though. They are high quality mufflers that come in many styles and aren't too expensive. I will be buying one shortly.

·
Registered
110 Posts
well like lots of people here i've also got a flowmaster 40 series on my car and it sound damn nice. mine is pretty loud but i also don have a cat. converter but it sounds nice and deep.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.