Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 92 Z24 5spd. 3.1L V6

One of my friends wants to race me in his moms 1998 Sunbird GT Automatic. (They got a V6)

I was just wondering, would I even have a chances, or would it be very close???

Thanks;

John

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hummm, this is a really good question. I think it mostly depends on how your car was actually maintained (oil changes in time, etc.). If your Z24 is in good shape and stock, I think it would be quite close since the new V6 are a little more performant (of course always depends which one) but since he's got automatic you maybe have a chance. Anyways, there's only one way to find out, so go for it and lemme know who won !

·
Registered
364 Posts
As was said, it depends on how your car has been maintained. As for HP wise, the Sunfire (not Sunbird) GT is running 140 HP I think, you should be running about the same. I think you'll have more torque and pull throughout the RPM band with the Manual tranny. Not sure if you could take him topend, but you could prolly take him on the 1/4. Power shift it (don't take your foot off the gas, slam the car into gear about 4500 RPM using the clutch as little as possible. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WEll, ive been driving Standart for 2 days. Need i say more??? Also, I dont feel like blowing my tranny after ive had the car for 2 days.

But well see.

Thanks

John

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
The Sunfire GT has the 2.4L Quad 4.
NOT a V6. (unless you typoed, and its an 88, not 98)

150 HP, 155 ft/lb Torque for the quad 4
It would be close. You have the advantage of a manual, but you say you havn't had much experience with it. It you don't bog it, you will get them off the line, but the Sunfire will probably gradually pull on you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i agree with moon, i think you have a pretty good chance ande i would say you guys are pretty even. you with your standard and he with his 150hp. but i think it'll come down to how good of a driver you two guys are.

*413*

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
when you think about it, its just like a 3.1 Z vs. a new Z with the 2.4 quad 4 motor. but maybe the sunfire is heavier? not sure on that one.

G

·
Seriously though, what happened? This bothers me when you don't get an update. Probably no race went down. A good driver in the z would be able to hold up on the gt if it was in good condition. Yea the top end of the race would of been different but eh.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.