J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are Mustangs concidered a muscle car when our cavaliers arent? I have never once raced a Mustang in my Cav and lost. Can someone plz explain this to me??

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes but you do know to ourselves that Cavaliers are not econoboxes. They are worth more then that. IMO an econobox is the new cavaliers and sunfires and HONDA CIVICS/ACCORD. in my opinion econoboxes are 4 cyl, 4 door, grocery getters. (no offence to our 4 door Cavalier/Sunbird owners). But I do know thats what we are classified as. But I think someone should change the Muscle car rules. because the 4 cyl and 6 cyl Mustangs are still concidered Muscle cars. only because they are rwd? RWD has nothing to do with it. a FWD car can make just as much power and just as fast as a RWD. which reminds me. anyone think of putting a 305 or 350 small block with rwd conversion in these cars yet? I was thinking about that the other day. putting a cavalier or sunbird body on say like an s10 frame and adding a 305 motor and posi rear end..

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know. I have tried debating that for a long time with Ford enthusiasts but they keep saying that ALL mustangs are muscle cars. no matter what is in them. but thats a ford fan for ya

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Well, they're wrong. Mustangs arent muscle cars anyway, they're pony cars. a muscle car is a big motor crammed in a little car. the closest mustangs to muscle were the 429 cars, and by that time mustangs had gotten a lot bigger than the 65-66's. And new mustangs still arent muscle cars. a 300hp 3500+lb car isn't a muscle car. Not saying i have anyhting against stangs, but they're not muscle cars....

and J-bodies arent muscle cars either. those of us with motor swaps know that yes, it doesnt take to much to make them quick, but they're a cheaply made, cheaply priced, economicly minded car from the early 90's.... None of that fits in the muscle car category very well....

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
89-zed-two-four said:
well if i do what i was thinking (305 or 350) in a j-body. would mine be concidered muscular :p
:D .. Do it!! I'ld consider your car a muscle car then!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
ummm yeah, since when is a Stang a muscle car?? a Mustang is a pony car. Muscle cars died in the early 70's.... You beat Mustangs with your 2.8?? maybe 2.3 LX's looolll.. I also hate to break it to some people on this site, but...

A J-BODY IS AN ECONOBOX. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF IT'S A 2ND OR 3RD GEN!!!! MY Z24 IS AN ECONOBOX WITH A BIGGER MOTOR AND BETTER SUSPENSION!! A Z24 WILL NEVER BE A MUSCLE CAR!!!!

Of course, I know this and it doesn't bother me at all. I love my Z24!!

·
Registered
649 Posts
...Yeah, I don't remember the last time I was out with my Mustang and some guy said "Man, that's a nice muscle car!"

Mustangs are pretty much the grocery getter for the family man these days. The cars that get driven on the weekends by 38 year old men with graying hair.

Mind you, I'll be getting my groceries damn fast, thanks.

So yes, in conclusion, stay in school.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks Little_Dragon. Atleast I have some support. and no 02cavvy they have actually been the three eight v6's. and dont tell me a two eight cannot out run them because it has been proven over 3 times by my self. i know i wouldnt even bother with the GT's with the 5.? but seriously mustangs should never have been concidered a muscle car. it was fords screwed up version of the camaro which it will never ever come close to. chev for the win every time. in my mind. the mustang should not even be a PONY car. if they are a pony car then z24's should be also. but its nice to see alot of ford fans on here :roll:

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
I think what he means is why is a v6 cavalier not called a muscle car when a v6 mustang would be (by the average person..) just my guess

and if it is that case, the mustang has a more musclecarafied name.. not sure how else to say it :lol:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that is exactly what i ment. i dont want to go and change the books and records and have a chev cavalier put in beside the stang, but i just want everyone to know that the only way a mustang is even remotly close to a muscle car is with the 5.?L v8 in it. and if v6 stangs are called muscle cars then my z24 should be called one also.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
thats not out point :lol:

what we mean is why does the average person look at a v6 mustang (prolly not knowing wtf engine it has anyways) and consider it a muscle car. but then that same person would look at a v6 cav and not even consider the thought of it..

well, actually, some people confuse our body styles for mustangs so I guess its possible LOL!!!!!!

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
lol, been there... that's part of the reason i got rid of my Flowmaster exhaust.. lol

but my point is, a Cavalier is a lower class GM FWD econo-car, it's never had a history of being anything but that, not to mention the Jbody line started in like what 81?

Mustangs, Camaros, Chargers, Challengers etc.. all started off back in the 60's.. all RWD, all had the option of a BIG ASS V8 making Monster power that even us with more than the KBB's worth of money into our engines aren't coming close to.

Completely different class of cars, i find it a little dissapointing that the lines between a Muscle/Pony car are that faded that people actually think a Jbody is anywhere close. :-?

V6 Mustangs and Camaros are chick cars, they buy them to look good and get good gas mileage. Sure there are a few fast V6 Camaros out there.. just like there are a few fast Cavaliers, that dosen't change the class of car it is. :lol:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am not saying that cavaliers should be listed as a muscle car once again. if a V6 MUSTANG can be called a PONY car. why can't a cavalier? we can make just as much power as the next mustang or MORE! and how is a v6 Z24 an econo car? I see no economy in my car at ALL. it sucks back gas fairly well and has enuff power. its not like it is putting out a whole whopping 91 hp a civic with "PERFORMANCE" upgrades is. Now a civic on the other hand is an ECONOBOX. there is nothing about a Civic that is a performer. NOTHING. You are saying I should have a cat scan? what about all these ricers who think there civic is the shit when my car is way ahead of them in 2nd gear at half throttle.

·
Registered
649 Posts
but i just want everyone to know that the only way a mustang is even remotly close to a muscle car is with the 5.?L v8 in it. and if v6 stangs are called muscle cars then my z24 should be called one also.
we can make just as much power as the next mustang or MORE!
Just to let you know, before I took the 4.6 V8 out of my mustang, I was making somewhere in the neighborhood of 465 horsepower with just 8psi out of a Garrett GT40-82. Sooo...good luck.

Mustangs, with a little TLC, will make all the power you need them to.
:wink:

<SIZE size="59">Even with all the weight they carry around.</SIZE>

And I apologize if I seem like I'm being...cheeky?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.