J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some times when I corner hard or at slow speeds to the right I get a squeal and it sounds like its coming from the belt but I cant tell because the car must be in motion for it to squeal... its not too loud but it noticeable any ideas on how to get rid of the noise.. I'm thinking its the brakes or the power steering but I'm unsure.. I've tried the soap on the belt trick and that doesn't work.. every mechanic I talk to says its normal.. but it don't sound normal to me... any suggestions?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've been getting that too, recently. It may just be your tires, I seem to be able to squeal just backing out of my driveway. Is it a low-pitched squeal or more like a squeaking? You should have a friend wait where you'll be taking a right turn to see if they can pick it out, since they'd have a better vantage point.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
If it was the power stearing, it would probably make the noise no matter what direction you turned, and even if you just turned the wheel while not moving. Hard to say what it is, if it sounds like it is coming from the engine bay. I wouldnt think a slow turn would cause the belt to squeel...

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I'm having the same problem, I'm thinking it's my brakes... I know on my last vehicle there were pins that protruded after 25% of the brake was worn. Maybe it's the same for this car. I'm going to check it out this weekend i'll let you know if it's an easy fix.

ttyl

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Yes, there are warning tabs on the brakes that rub when the pads get low.

Does it make the noise when turning the wheel while the car isn't moving?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ruh-roh, I hope that's not what it is. I'm already saving up for new tires so I can pass inspection, I don't need my brakes going out now.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope. doesnt make a sound at all unless its hard over (like on any car if its hard over it will squelch and squeal) ive replaced the belt (what an ass of a job that was) and still makes the sound.. i think its either the power steering pump or the water pump.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
So it only makes the noise when you make a sharp turn? Or only when you turn the wheel all the way in one direction?

Check your brake pads to be sure the warning tab isn't really close to the rotor. It is possible for them to be getting worn, but they only rub during a corner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts