J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to replace the rubber pieces on the outside of the windows because mine have finally cracked to pieces. It is the piece that the window slides between when you roll it down. They are $47 for each side! Does anyone know how i can put these in myself instead of paying more for installation?? Thanks.
Z24Dogg

·
Registered
221 Posts
The weather stripping? If you want to do it yourself, you'd have a fun time disassembling your door. I can't really say how, since I've never split my door open before (though I'll have to soon on the passenger side). I imagine you could make a day of it, and tell *us* how =]

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
I have had the panel off of my doors a few times. It isnt fun. Since mine is a 92, i know your 90 door will be a bit different. On mine, you just need to remove all the screws along the edges, remove the screw from behind the door handle, and then pull out and lift up on the panel, carefully popping out the plastic clips, and lifting it over the lip on the top of the door. I don't really know how to describe it much better. The molding I am assuming you are refering to is tacked to the back of the door panel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have an 88 and my door has been off about 15 times now, I had a problem with the window falling forward when i put it up, but I fixed it. The way to take your door apart and see how the striping is put on (something I never looked at on my cracked and beat one) is this. Open the door, make sure it is unlocked and pop the door lock part that slides back and forth off, then take out the two screws that hold the black rectangle thing around it out and pull it forward and towards you so it slides by, then pull out the little cover at the top of the door handle off and take all three screws out of that and take it off. Don't loose the black peice on the end, I did. Then, Take out the screw that holds the mirror adjuster on and lift it up so it's out of the way. Put your hand behind the cardboard on the door and pop all of the plastic snap pins forward. If one or two stay on the door, don't worry about it, just pull them out later. When thay are all out, lift the cardboard up and rest it on the ground or the car. Just remember the electric door lock switch wires. Peel the duct tape back and the door is right there. do what you have to do and put it back together. I know it sounds like a job but i do mine in about 5 mins.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts