J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I did a search for this and found many similar but no topics like this. My problem is that starting today my wipers will only come on if they are on high. Not only that, but when I turn them off they don't return to the down position automatically (if they are all the way up when i move the lever down they stay at the top). Any Ideas on how to fix this? Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
weird, i would check out the motor and the switch. those are the only 2 things i could see causing those probelms it mnay be one or the other or even both have shit the bed.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do I have to remove the cowl to be able to get to the motor? And if I do, is it just the 3 small bolts that hold it on?

·
Registered
496 Posts
I've been having wiper trouble lately too, it looks like the wiper motor is just on the firewall and you can take it off from there.

Anyone know how to test the switch or motor to eliminate the guess work?

·
Registered
7,387 Posts
If it's any consolation, mine does that too...I was thinking something must be wrong with a connection somewhere...

As soon as my man gets around to fixing it I'll let you know. ;)

·
Registered
362 Posts
There are some simple things you can try first before replacing the electronics. Sometimes the linkage will get stiff when it gets older. Try lubricating the linkage. Also I have a GMC Suburban that had the exact same symptom. The problem was the alternator was not putting out enough power so the the wiper motor could pull the wipers back. Only on high would they start at all. Check the output of your alternator. If neither of these works, then start replacing electrical components.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
if i would use my wipers for more then like 5-10 min, they would just stop working in all functions except high. it looked kinda dumb on a day with light drizzle and my wipers are on high :s. anyways, i took a look under the hood, and the wires going to the motors kinda looked like they were melted. ive never done more then that though

·
Registered
769 Posts
Well if not the switch, next step is the motor. As far as I know all the electronics that control the motor are in the motor housing. I'm not sure of any easy way to test these electronics. I would look at a boneyard motor or maybe a remanufactured one from a parts store.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.