J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the crappy wiper swicth with the off, low, high settings. Is it a simple matter of replacing the switch with one that has the delay function or do I have to replace the wiper motor too?

·
Super Moderator
20,045 Posts
You also have to replace the wiper motor, as the delay controls (the "brains") are in the wiper motor, under a cover on the motor. The nice thing is that the wiring running through the car is the same between the two different wiper types.

So basically change the switch and the motor, and you have delay wipers. ;)

I did this with my '84 Sunbird, and my '85 Jimmy, which I have a "J-body" wiper motor in, seeing as they are the same part. ;)

·
Super Moderator
20,045 Posts
theophile said:
Did the Beretta use the same wipre motors?

If I grab a wiper motor w/ intermittent from a '91 Beretta, will it work with a Cavalier switch?
No the Berreta wiper motor is different than the J-body motor, it could be just the electrical connections and the arm, but I believe even the motor shape and mounting pattern is different.

·
Super Moderator
20,045 Posts
theophile said:
OKay, I'll settle for this.

Will a '93 Sunbird wiper motor with intermittent work with a Cavalier switch?
Yes.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got that motor, w/ delay, from a Sunbord for $1. I don't have the switch yet but I took the motor, unplugges the harness from the one in the car and plugged it into the new motor. I turned the car on and turned the switch on and nothing happened. I just want to double check and make sure this is normal behavior for a delay motor and a non-delay switch. Since the wiring is the same, I should be able to to just plug and play, right?

·
Super Moderator
20,045 Posts
You need the proper switch with the wiper motor, otherwise one of 3 things will happen:

1) Nothing happens
2) Something happens but is not working right
3) Something gets fried

The delay wiper system works on resistance to control the delay timing and the speeds (high and low), where as the non delay just uses simple switches to control speeds.

I just did this conversion to my Jimmy about a month ago, swapped an S-series tilt column in with delay (I wanted tilt anyway ;)), and used one of my J-body wiper motors, worked like a charm, just like when I did the same thing on my '84 Sunbird, swapped both the switch and teh motor and everything worked together.

BTW I am moving this to repair/troubleshooting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.