J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 800 watt 4/3/ or 2 channel amp, the amp is rated for producing 2 ohm stable. I have three 12 200 watt 4 ohm speakers, how should I wire this bad boy?
please help, can't decide to do it by channel, series, 2 parralel, or what, please help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you wire those three subs in parallel you, will get 1.33ohms into one channel. Your amp will only run 4/3/2 right? If that is the case you are better off running the amp in 3 channel mode (one sub per channel) or buying another sub and running 2 channels off the amp. You will be getting the 2ohms per channel by wiring 2 subs in parallel to each channel for a 2 ohm load.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
U have quite the interesting problem there. with your amp it can be wired for 4/3/or 2 channels. Problem is 3 channels would be done by leaving two channels as they are and bridging the other 2 which would give different power to the subs. You could go with a 2 sub setup and bridge the amp to two channels then put one to each sub, or sell them and get four 8 ohm subs, run them in sets of two in parallel, then bridge the amp and put one channel to each set of subs. In most 2ohm stable amps they are only 2 ohm stable while in stereo setup, not after being bridged, so if u ran the 4ohm subs in parallel and bridged the amp it would basically be like running the amp at 1ohm on that channel. If u have any question please write me at [email protected] sorry if this is confusing, i tend to write a little wierd late at nigh

·
Registered
12 Posts
The BEST way to run this setup is to run your speakers in series and run them off one channel.

If you run them parallel it will be the 1.3ohm load someone else mentioned. If you bridge your amp you can half the ohm rating the amp can handle. SO you would be running at about .7 ohm and very few amps can handle that...

If you add one more sub then run them in pairs each to seperate channels you would be better off. If you had 2 speakers you would want to run them stereo each off its own channel.

Your amplifier is designed to give the best sound at 4ohm and any time you can keep this load near that you are better off. I BELIEVE if you ran two of the speakers in parallel (ie make them like one speaker running at 2ohm...), and then wired the other speaker in parallel with the pair you would then get about 3 ohm which if your amp can easily handle 2ohm it can likely handle the 1.5 ohm you now have when bridged. Depends on the amplifier. But generally running low ohm loads really taxes your amplifier.

(Hope that made sense...)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts