J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
well ill tell ya right now, the borg warner 5 speed will break very quik on with anything over 175 hp. if you go auto you it will probably be the 700R4. the f-body v6's used the 200-4R i think. im doing the same thing you are thinking about and im in the process of looking for a TKO tranny. :)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so what do i have as far as tranny options...

my setup right now is :

3.1 turbo out of a TGP

replaced the t-25 with 2 t-28's ....

by rough calculations, it should put me a bit over 250 at the flywheel @ 6psi each.

the sonoma i'm looking at is a 5 speed tranny.

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
34blazer said:
well ill tell ya right now, the borg warner 5 speed will break very quik on with anything over 175 hp. if you go auto you it will probably be the 700R4. the f-body v6's used the 200-4R i think. im doing the same thing you are thinking about and im in the process of looking for a TKO tranny. :)
Uhh, no it won't I have a dyno proven 217 HP at the wheels, about 250 at teh crank, ran through my stock B-W tranny, Torque was 270 at the wheels about 310 at the crank.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess where i'm getting at is ... is there a tranny that would fit the jimmy/blazer/sonoma that would comfortably handle an eventual 300+ HP ?

manual or auto, but i plan on retaining the 4x4

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Six_Shooter said:
34blazer said:
Uhh, no it won't I have a dyno proven 217 HP at the wheels, about 250 at teh crank, ran through my stock B-W tranny, Torque was 270 at the wheels about 310 at the crank.
well thats nice to know but i guess it depends on what kind of driving you do with it. i bracket raced my s10 with the 2.8 and went through 3 trannys. the only mods were pretty much a 4.3 tb and a catback. went 16.9 at best. now it may be the way i drive but if its going to be raced i do not think that tranny will stay together. blocker rings and syncros were always an issue.
the 700R4 seems to be a good canadate for your app. they came from the factory with these.
oh and six, can i contact you with some wiring Q's?

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
34blazer said:
Six_Shooter said:
34blazer said:
well thats nice to know but i guess it depends on what kind of driving you do with it. i bracket raced my s10 with the 2.8 and went through 3 trannys. the only mods were pretty much a 4.3 tb and a catback. went 16.9 at best. now it may be the way i drive but if its going to be raced i do not think that tranny will stay together. blocker rings and syncros were always an issue.
the 700R4 seems to be a good canadate for your app. they came from the factory with these.
oh and six, can i contact you with some wiring Q's?
Believe me, I don't babay my junk, EVER, ask anyone that has rode with me. :lol:

I have one friend that almost refuses to ride with me if we are going on teh highway, because I apparantly scared the shit out of him a few years ago, going down the QEW (southern ontario), I just keep telling me, I wasn't even driving that hard. ;)

That tranny I treated it like it owed me money, and then some, shift a LOT without the clutch, not racing mind you, but I rarely use the clutch in any car I drive that's stick. ;) When I did have the urge to rip the shifter I was never nice on it either, I would have to stop my throws because I could feel me over throwing them, I do plan to build a couple stops so that I don't do that, especially with the shorter shifter I plan to use. ;)

I plan to run that same tranny with the TT 3500, which should be around 450 HP until it blows up, if it blows up. I think my clutch will be the weak point right now.

Yes, you can contact me with wiring questions.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
capitalsins said:
so what do i have as far as tranny options...

my setup right now is :

3.1 turbo out of a TGP

replaced the t-25 with 2 t-28's ....

by rough calculations, it should put me a bit over 250 at the flywheel @ 6psi each.

the sonoma i'm looking at is a 5 speed tranny.
you have 2 turbos?

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Six_Shooter said:
Believe me, I don't babay my junk, EVER, ask anyone that has rode with me. :lol:

I have one friend that almost refuses to ride with me if we are going on teh highway, because I apparantly scared the shit out of him a few years ago, going down the QEW (southern ontario), I just keep telling me, I wasn't even driving that hard. ;)

That tranny I treated it like it owed me money, and then some, shift a LOT without the clutch, not racing mind you, but I rarely use the clutch in any car I drive that's stick. ;) When I did have the urge to rip the shifter I was never nice on it either, I would have to stop my throws because I could feel me over throwing them, I do plan to build a couple stops so that I don't do that, especially with the shorter shifter I plan to use. ;)

I plan to run that same tranny with the TT 3500, which should be around 450 HP until it blows up, if it blows up. I think my clutch will be the weak point right now.

Yes, you can contact me with wiring questions.
I absolutely loved this post :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.