J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just got a sub and amp for my car but i dont have any wires to hook it up with. I really dont want to go to the store and buy the 40 dollar kit to hook it up so i was wandering if anybody on here had a kit that they are willing to let go. I need all the wiring. Between the amp and the subs and between the amp and the stereo and the battery so let me knwo what you got! Thanks

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
psquare75 said:
Fairly sure Walmart has a kit for like $20.
X2.

Then there is the nice stuff that can get you in the $100's range.

I have some 0ga. wire...the good thick stuff. I checked the price and for a kit its $175. Id let it go for $100. The only thing you would need is a fuse holder. I had it my Jimmy and it runs the full length so its plenty big enough for you cavalier.... but if you want to stay on the cheap side go to Walmart.

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
Don't be so cheap.

The quality of sound you get is only as good as the weakest link, that includes the wires.

Get good quality cables and power wires and you'll have good sound, provided it's all connected with proper terminations and ran well.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
brothainchrist06 said:
Ya, I think i'll end up getting a rockford kit. Those wires are top quality. Good stuff.
Since when??? :-? I guess their not bottom rung anymore with all these fly by night audio companies popping up but I don't think I've ever considered rockford anything worth owning.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
jakerooni said:
brothainchrist06 said:
Ya, I think i'll end up getting a rockford kit. Those wires are top quality. Good stuff.
Since when??? :-? I guess their not bottom rung anymore with all these fly by night audio companies popping up but I don't think I've ever considered rockford anything worth owning.
Rockford fosgate is a good company I know as far as amps go. Their speakers I dont like, and the wiring is an expansion.

$40 for a kit is nothing adding mine up

20 ft 0 guage wire - $100
100 amp circuit breaker - $75
3 farad cap - $200
Monster cable surround rca's (4 in one wire) - $95
Monster cable Sub rca's - $60
Speaker wire, a lil 4 guage, misc. - $50
Stinger pro plat. blocks (3) - $90

Woohoo over $600 amp kit lol

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Walmart stuff is good for systems under 400W. 400w or over, I'd go with Rockford's or Monster cable (4 AWG). There's a place near me that sells Monster Cable and (Streetwires) stuff just a lil' bit below retail. Some of you may have heard of a place called Parts Express.

·
Registered
6 Posts
the cheapest way would be to figure out where you want your amp mounted roughly, then estimate the length of wire needed for your 12v, ground, pre-outs, and remote. Once you have done this go to the nearest Audio store that sells wire by the foot or yard w.e. and tell them what you will need it may cost a bit more but you may be happy that i ran good wire when you go to upgrade your system later on down. And it looks nice 2;).

i dont know what you know already but here is some basic installation info.

the pre-out wire and the remote wire both run the same distance thus being the same length.

the power wire runs from your + battery terminal to your amp or to your power cap then to your amp.

the shorted the ground wire the better. If you are mounting your amp on your back seat i would recommend grounding it on one if the coil-over bolts because its simple and requires no drilling.

I would reccomend for a good starting wiring setup:

20ish ft of 4gauge wire which can be used for both the 12v and the ground.
Just fun the 12v and whatever is left over use for the ground wire

R.E.M(remote cable, tells the amp when to turn on) i would guess for an install in which the amp was in the trunk you would need about 10ish feet of what ever wire your would like i used 8 guage cuz i was bored but the normal 16 is easier and faster 2 install.

And rca cables or "subout cables" will run roughly the same length as the R.E.M if run together.Red to red, and White to White.

Thats all i have 2 say. Correct me if im wrong about anything.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
rude_ideas said:
jakerooni said:
brothainchrist06 said:
Rockford fosgate is a good company I know as far as amps go. Their speakers I dont like, and the wiring is an expansion.
x2, my RF amp has outlasted 2 other amps I've owned

I've been running it at 2ohms also. at this rate, it seems its going to last a lifetime

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.