J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I called up a dealership today and found out that a wire harness for the ecm would be $900. What a rip off. If anyone feels like looking around at your local salvage yards and finding a harness and ecm. Or just the harness to hook the ecm to the engine, i will pay the cost of harness (w/ without ecm), shipping, and throw in $50 for your troubles. This may sound stupid, but i was wanting to have the tgp in my car by the end of January and if i have to spend $900 on the harness, it will be about another year before i get it in.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called up a dealership today and found out that a wire harness for the ecm would be $900. What a rip off. If anyone feels like looking around at your local salvage yards and finding a harness and ecm. Or just the harness to hook the ecm to the engine, i will pay the cost of harness (w/ without ecm), shipping, and throw in $50 for your troubles. This may sound stupid, but i was wanting to have the tgp in my car by the end of January and if i have to spend $900 on the harness, it will be about another year before i get it in.

Or, does anyone know someone or company i could call and get a way better price?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Well, having no idea what a TGP was, I took it upon myself to figure it out. Here are some of the possibilities:

Trajectory Generation Program
Total Gas Production
Tar-getting Pod
Tobaccon Glycoprotien
Target Generation and Processing

...then I hit the jackpot:
Turbo Grand Prix!

I don't know if you've tried this, but if you go to www.car-part.com and enter 1989 Pontiac Grand Prix and for the part type select turbocharger/supercharger it gives you yards around the country that have these parts. I bet if the yard has the turbo, they have the ecm and harness too. You can also search for a Grand AM ECM but they don't have the turbo option in the search tool. It does come up with several hundred results though and the dealers have a notes section for each part. If you go through there, there might be a few places that have the ECM from the turbo listed.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
i am gonna tell you to do more research and that you dont need the tgp harness and with a little modding other harnesses can be used use the search for more info lots of usefull topics

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Who the man? I got one chilling out in my garage right now, no joke! I pulled it off my TGP motor that you can see pics of in my registry. So yea I legitimately have one if you are interested make me an offer. The only problem that I know of is that one of the injector plugs is broke but it should be like the cavalier and plug in, I would think anyhow. I didnt look at the harness much I just pulled it off and stuck it in a storage box. I do have the prom too but I have that installed in my car, which is still waiting to be completed. Just let me know.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I still might be interested, but right now i might have come up with a way to keep the same wiring harness on my car and just have my eprom reprogramed to the eprom off a tgp. I still trying to figure out if there is any defferences in the wiring harness itself right now. I will have to get back to ya on the harness if i find any differences between the gtp a z harnesses.

·
Registered
708 Posts
okay the wiring harness is the same except for the plug in on the computer.........however i know curtis took a end out of a cavy computer (female) and solder wires to that then put a gp male connector on the end so all you would have to do is switch to a gp computer and a tgp prom.

there are some problems with using the tgp prom in the cavy ecm...........you get bad air fuel ratio in higher gears........

you get better response with the tgp chip and gp computer combination
and better air fuel ratio's

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.