J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what years did the Pontiac Gran Prix GTP have the SC 3.8 in them?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nevermind......i checked it out myself and they introduced the GTP in '94 and the SC 3.8 or 3800 has been an option ever since. thanks anyway :D

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
i was gonna say i test drive a 94 before i bought my cavalier... well almost 6 months before, quick car... maybe they changed the style in 99??

anyways this engine, would it hook upto our trannies properly, or would we need this tranny as well? cause i assume the gtp tranny would be stronger and the z24 (bigger engine ~ bigger tranny?)

I don't know im new to mechanics , just thought it wa scommon sence? somepone help, it's a good idea, but i would like to know what all is involved.

·
Registered
202 Posts
gm also put the supercharged 3800 in the pontiac bonneville ssei

(the i on the end means its superchareged) ive seen one in a buick riveara(sp?) dont remeber what year tho.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
They started teh SSEI bonneville in 1992 with the supercharged 3800. That was the started of the supercharged 3800 and it has gained horsepower almost every year since.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Well being a insider at the GM design shop, the 3800 SC is no more. They killed the whole powertrain and the 2004 Grand Prix will only have 1 powertrain option now. (Which I beleive is the 3.4 liter the intrigue had) Sad too that was the best engine GM ever built in my opinion

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
i don't know the web address but there is a company called "thrasher motorsports" that specializes in the 3.8sc motors from g.m. they helped me put a 97 motor in my 89 bonnie sse the 3.8 is a 90degree engine and the cavy is 60degree .sounds like alot of work but worth it

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
yeh ssei's are nice cars, once I had a chance to drive one, it was somth like 98, not sure, damn they are very comfortable, power seats, power locks, power everything sweet leather and a bunch of other options. I didnt floored it, but the car was prety good on lows

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Well what about the bonneville. IF tehy ended the 3.8sc that comes in the ssei and the gtp grand prix are they still going to have those models? Just with the 3.4 or are they going to stop calling them ssei and gtp?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts