J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First things first......I'm looking to buy a new or 1 year old car. After spending much time doing research on cars i have come to the conclusion that all cars have problems no matter who makes them. Realizing this I decided to buy domestic and since i have a cavalier right now I was looking at the cobalt 2 door coupe. I like the SS but the ss sc is a bit over the top for me.
My question is....how are these ecotec engines and how reliable are these cobalts? I know they have some problems but I can live with minor things. Head gaskets and intake manifold problems I can do without.

Please give me your honest opinion about these cars as I am about to dish out alot of $$$$ :( and I don't want to make a mistake.

My budget is under 20k

G

·
I have a 2.2 or L61 2 door balt, manual. I really enjoy it and I came from a loaded up Lincoln LS v8 to it so. I am a big fan of the Ecotec, have not heard much from problems w/ them, but there are lemons out there.

Cobaltss.net is a good place to get more info from the SC, 2.2L and 2.4L. Definately a big step up from the Cavalier imo, much nicer interiors. I say do not just get blinded by the balt though, I kinda wish I looked at the Mazda 3 more but eh, stuff happens.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
dstefan said:
First things first......I'm looking to buy a new or 1 year old car. After spending much time doing research on cars i have come to the conclusion that all cars have problems no matter who makes them. Realizing this I decided to buy domestic and since i have a cavalier right now I was looking at the cobalt 2 door coupe. I like the SS but the ss sc is a bit over the top for me.
My question is....how are these ecotec engines and how reliable are these cobalts? I know they have some problems but I can live with minor things. Head gaskets and intake manifold problems I can do without.

Please give me your honest opinion about these cars as I am about to dish out alot of $$$$ :( and I don't want to make a mistake.

My budget is under 20k
buy a trans am or a Grand Prix GTP 8)

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
The ecotec is a great engine. Mine just turned 83,xxx without any problems.

I've seen a few used ss/sc cobalts for around 14-15k. I'd take one of them over a new regular cobalt.... A neon srt 4 would be worth a look as well. An
ls1 6 speed car would be fun, but only if you still have the cavalier as a winter car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.