J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is a really weird problem. I've got a 1992 Z24 3.1L with about 120,000 miles on it. The problem is that once the car warms up it won't go into third gear (it's an automatic). It will just stay in second and going highway speed it will run like 3-4,000 RPM. I already changed the transmission fluid on it becaus it acted somewhat like a problem I had before with a leak in my radiator letting coolant get into the fluid. It wasn't that. I also have had the TCC solenoid go out before, but it doesn't act anything like that. I think it could be related to pressure switches in the transmission, but I don't really know any way of checking them. Is this it or am I totally off? Any ideas anyone?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh well, found out what's wrong and I having to rebuild my transmission Thanks anyways.

--Adam

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i had this problem in my cavalier, (old one) before and it turned out once i got it apart, that it was a bad "valve body" which is the small device that operates the gear itself, in this case it was expensive to replace as it needed a new one, but by that time it was too late and i ripped the whole trans up from driving it like that for too long. I'd take it and have it looked at, remember that in order to replace the trans they will have to pull the engine, and thatll cost alot, i avoided it since i put the new trans in myself, with a friends help. Lurch

1 - 5 of 5 Posts