J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,510 Posts
take the front bumper, the metal supports, and the shock absorber things off
take off the rear bumper and metal supports
take the side skirts, door pieces, the metal rails, and all the plastic clips off

do the same with the sunbird('cept there's no side skirts :p ) and put all the Z stuff on. I used new self tapping screws to replace the ones i took off the side skirts, and you can rivet the plastic clips on to the body, or just use double sided tape and no clips at all. either way works fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,668 Posts
yep just like said above ^^^^

i took the bumpers and supports, put them on my 1990 sunbird (same car as yours ) and i put the skirts on with the orignal metal brackets on the rockers and very small self tapping metal screws, if done right , its very well worth it,

you will need to figure your taillights out, you can either you the stock sunbird tails with a plate bucket from a cav wagon put into the sunbird filler panel, or do like i did and get phase I or phase II lights

my parents bought me a 1990 sunbird SE as a first car, 2.0L auto but i loved the look of the Z24, so i made my own, o by the way i used the front headlights out of a phase I as well, i cant tell you the number of people i had fooled with my "sunbird Z24"

(i miss that car now) RIP BABY :love:








and my baby at college winter prepped :lol:



YES it was a sunbird !! :love:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
v6bluebird said:
take the front bumper, the metal supports, and the shock absorber things off
take off the rear bumper and metal supports
take the side skirts, door pieces, the metal rails, and all the plastic clips off

do the same with the sunbird('cept there's no side skirts :p ) and put all the Z stuff on. I used new self tapping screws to replace the ones i took off the side skirts, and you can rivet the plastic clips on to the body, or just use double sided tape and no clips at all. either way works fine.
k thanx for the reply!! it seemed pretty easy..juz wanted to make sure!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
birdboy28 said:
yep just like said above ^^^^

i took the bumpers and supports, put them on my 1990 sunbird (same car as yours ) and i put the skirts on with the orignal metal brackets on the rockers and very small self tapping metal screws, if done right , its very well worth it,

you will need to figure your taillights out, you can either you the stock sunbird tails with a plate bucket from a cav wagon put into the sunbird filler panel, or do like i did and get phase I or phase II lights

my parents bought me a 1990 sunbird SE as a first car, 2.0L auto but i loved the look of the Z24, so i made my own, o by the way i used the front headlights out of a phase I as well, i cant tell you the number of people i had fooled with my "sunbird Z24"
wow!! man that car looks great, mine looks like crap rite now...paints bad, carpets bad, headliner is sagging...but it runs good!...my lil sis gave it to me, so im greatful..now im juz tryna fix it up!! thanx for you reply!! wat happend to the car!?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,668 Posts
well, the pipes looked good in person, i actually loved the crooked pipes look, and they were even for length, just in the pics they didnt look it...but they set the car off very well...

as for what happened to the car, well, i left to go to the beach one day with some friends, came back, car was gone, [email protected]!! :x found 2 days later, towed it home, bought another sunbird for 35 bucks to fix up my smashed interior and everything. Parents didnt think the car was safe to drive anymore, soo we put it up for sale., i had the cooling fan bypass done, the new owner didnt like that so he tried to wire it back to factory operation, basically, fan didnt come on ,car overheated in 40 degree + weather (celcious) and took out the new headgasket, cracked the rad and new owner gave up on it. the paint job was from macco soo over the year 1/2 it sat in his backyard while he tried to figure out what to do with it, she is starting to show the age, 1/4 panels rusted, doors rusted, rockers starting to go, floors are still decent.

i was contemplatng buying it back, but the rust and everything , too much for me to handle, espically for a 4cyl car with a blown headgakset (2nd one)

i still see it every now and then when i head to his house, but it brings a tear to my eye literally, cause my 5 year project, my dream, my goal, all my hard work is just sitting now rotting into the ground :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
birdboy28 said:
well, the pipes looked good in person, i actually loved the crooked pipes look, and they were even for length, just in the pics they didnt look it...but they set the car off very well...

as for what happened to the car, well, i left to go to the beach one day with some friends, came back, car was gone, [email protected]!! :x found 2 days later, towed it home, bought another sunbird for 35 bucks to fix up my smashed interior and everything. Parents didnt think the car was safe to drive anymore, soo we put it up for sale., i had the cooling fan bypass done, the new owner didnt like that so he tried to wire it back to factory operation, basically, fan didnt come on ,car overheated in 40 degree + weather (celcious) and took out the new headgasket, cracked the rad and new owner gave up on it. the paint job was from macco soo over the year 1/2 it sat in his backyard while he tried to figure out what to do with it, she is starting to show the age, 1/4 panels rusted, doors rusted, rockers starting to go, floors are still decent.

i was contemplatng buying it back, but the rust and everything , too much for me to handle, espically for a 4cyl car with a blown headgakset (2nd one)

i still see it every now and then when i head to his house, but it brings a tear to my eye literally, cause my 5 year project, my dream, my goal, all my hard work is just sitting now rotting into the ground :cry:
yea the pipes look good to me, how much was it to get em done like that? and do they sound any different? cuz its a 4 cyl ?

why dont you get another project bird or Z?

wow that sux man, i wud hate to have that happen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,668 Posts
i think i paid about 350 -400 for the y-pipe, the flowmaster 40 muffler and the chrome tips, and it sounded good, deep yet loud, not like a 4cyl but hard to describe ..it soudned very nice though...

i cant afford another j-body right now as im saving some $$ to help me and the gf get our own place and get her out of her parents basement, plus im already using the jeep as a project lol (keeping it running and going can be hard work) ...someday ill be back in the seats of a j-body
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,488 Posts
Also in the process, for the sideskirts, what did you people use to attach that metal "L" bracket to the car. Originally it is held on by pegs welded to the body and speed nuts. Is this the part that you people are just putting on with self tapping screws? How does that hold up?
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top